Calculating Force of Bat on Ball: Physics Homework Solution

• Thread starter futureteacher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Force
In summary, the problem is asking for the average force between the bat and ball during contact, given the initial and final velocities of the ball and the contact time. Using the equation for force and momentum, the attempt at a solution involves factoring out the mass and finding the change in velocity. However, the resulting answer of 600N is incorrect and the error may lie in forgetting to account for the vector quantities of force and momentum.
futureteacher

Homework Statement

A 0.145 ball is pitched at 37 m/s and is hit on a horizontal line drive at 51.5 m/s. If the contact time between the ball and the bat is 3.5x10-3 seconds what is the avg force between the bat and the ball during contact.

Homework Equations

P=mv
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=[tex]\Delta[/tex]P/[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

mfinal*vfinal-minitial*vinitial/[tex]\Delta[/tex]Time

factor out m (mass)
m(vfinal-vinitial)/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

0.145kg(51.5m/s-37.0m/s)/(3.5*10-3)

i get 600N but my webwork says that not right i have no idea what I am doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
futureteacher said:

Homework Statement

A 0.145 ball is pitched at 37 m/s and is hit on a horizontal line drive at 51.5 m/s. If the contact time between the ball and the bat is 3.5x10-3 seconds what is the avg force between the bat and the ball during contact.

Homework Equations

P=mv
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=[tex]\Delta[/tex]P/[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

mfinal*vfinal-minitial*vinitial/[tex]\Delta[/tex]Time

factor out m (mass)
m(vfinal-vinitial)/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

0.145kg(51.5m/s-37.0m/s)/(3.5*10-3)

i get 600N but my webwork says that not right i have no idea what I am doing wrong
The change in velocity is 51.5 + 37.0 m/s. The ball is hit in the opposite direction to the pitch.

Don't forget that force and momentum are vector quantities. The definition of force is:

[tex]\vec F = \sum \vec F_i = \frac{d\vec p}{dt}[/tex]

AM

Last edited:

I would first check to make sure that all of the units are consistent. In this case, it looks like there may be an issue with the units of time. The contact time is given in seconds, but the units in the equation are in milliseconds. This could be causing the discrepancy in the answer.

Additionally, it is important to consider any external forces acting on the ball or bat, such as air resistance or gravity. These forces may affect the final answer.

Another factor to consider is the elasticity of the collision between the bat and ball. If the collision is not perfectly elastic, some of the energy may be lost, resulting in a lower force between the bat and ball.

Without knowing the specific details of the problem and the given answer, it is difficult to determine exactly where the error may be. However, it is important to carefully check all units and assumptions when solving physics problems to ensure accurate results.

1. How do you calculate the force of a bat hitting a ball?

To calculate the force of a bat hitting a ball, you will need to use the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is the mass of the object (in this case, the ball), and a is the acceleration. You will also need to consider the velocity of the bat and the impact time. The force of the bat on the ball can be found by multiplying the mass of the ball by the change in velocity over the impact time.

2. What are the units for force in this calculation?

The units for force in this calculation will depend on the units used for mass, velocity, and time. Typically, the units for force are in Newtons (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s^2.

3. How does the angle of impact affect the force of the bat on the ball?

The angle of impact can greatly affect the force of the bat on the ball. If the bat makes contact with the ball at a perpendicular angle, the force will be maximized. However, if the bat makes contact at an angle, the force will be reduced because only a component of the force vector is applied to the ball.

4. Is the force of the bat on the ball the same as the force of the ball on the bat?

No, the force of the bat on the ball is not the same as the force of the ball on the bat. According to Newton's Third Law of Motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that while the bat exerts a force on the ball, the ball also exerts an equal and opposite force on the bat.

5. How can I use this calculation to improve my batting in baseball/softball?

Knowing the force of the bat on the ball can help you understand the impact of your swing and make adjustments to improve your batting. For example, increasing the mass or velocity of the bat can result in a greater force on the ball. You can also experiment with different angles of impact to see how it affects the force and trajectory of the ball.