1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force of charges

1. Feb 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the force F on the 1nC charge in the middle due to the four other harges? Give your answer in component form.

There is a picture that i dont know how to get up so ill just describe it.

There are four charges in a square, length of square = 1cm. the two charges on the left corners of the square are -2nC and the two charges on the right corners of the square are +2nC. There is a charge in the middle of the square of +1 nC.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm just using F= (kq1q2/r^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    so what im doing is a force diagram and from that i know that the y components cancel out. the magnitude of the forces is equal, therefore their x components will be equal. Using the force equation under step two i determined the magnitude of the force and from that was able to determine the x component with cosine and a 45 degree angle. I then multiplied the x component by 4.
    The answer i ended up with was 5.1E-4 where the real answer is actually double that.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

The concept is correct. There must have been some arithmetical mistake somewhere. Show your calculations briefly.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?