1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force of Flowing Water

  1. Jan 15, 2009 #1
    If a pipe flowing with water enters a structure where the structure wall will stop the horizontal velocity of the flow and direct it downward (i.e a pipe in to a manhole with an outlet at a considerably lower elevation), how do you calculate the force exerted on the structure of that wall. I have found the equation Force = density of water * flow volume * change in velocity. Is this on the right track?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2009 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Welcome to PF!

    Hi smprindi ! Welcome to PF! :wink:
    Yes …

    from good ol' Newton's second law …

    force = rate of change of momentum

    = velocity times mass per time …

    which is the same as your Force = density of water * flow volume * change in velocity. :smile:
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook