What is the Formula for Calculating Force of Friction on an Inclined Surface?

In summary, to find the force of friction in this scenario, you would use the formula Ff = Fp - ma, where Fp is the parallel force of Fw(sin40), m is the mass of the box (44.3 kg), and a is the acceleration (0.25 m/s2). The force of friction is calculated to be 268.9 N, which is incorrect as the answer is supposed to be 10 N. The angle of inclination is also corrected to be 40.0 degrees.
Jus' me
For the question: A 435 n box is sliding down a 40.00 inclined. If the acceleration of the box is 0.250m/s2. Which formula would I use to find just the force of friction? and would I change the Newtons to kilograms?

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass of the box is m = Fw/g = 435n / 9.81 m/s2 = 44.3 kg.
Is it 40 degrees?
The parallel force Fp = Fw(sin40) = 280n
The net unbalanced force responsible for acceleration is F = m a = 44.3kg (0.25m/s/s) = 11.1n.
If Ff = |Fp| then the box would not accelerate.
The Force of friction, Ff = 280n - 11.1n = 268.9n I think, but correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks.

Well, the answer is supposed to be 10 but I think there was probably a typo. :)
thanks so much for your help!
and yes, it was supposed to be 40.0 degrees. :)

What is the formula for calculating the force of friction?

The force of friction can be calculated using the formula: Ff = μN, where Ff is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless constant that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is dependent on factors such as the type of materials, roughness of surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants.

How is the force of friction affected by the surface area?

The force of friction is directly proportional to the surface area in contact. This means that as the surface area increases, the force of friction also increases.

Does the mass of an object affect the force of friction?

Yes, the force of friction is directly proportional to the mass of an object. This means that as the mass increases, the force of friction also increases.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that acts against the motion of an object that is already in motion.