Solving Force of Friction: A Guide for Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a sled moving at a constant velocity across a horizontal surface. The question asks for the force of friction between the sled and the snow, given a horizontal force of 8.0 x 10^1 N applied at an angle of 53 degrees. The conversation includes a suggestion to draw a free body diagram and reminds that all forces are measured in N. The conversation ends with the understanding of the problem and gratitude.
Makaroon

Homework Statement

A sled pulled out a constant velocity across a horizontal. If a is a horizontal force of 8.0 x 10^1 N is applied at an angle of 53 degrees in the ground. What is the force of friction between the sled and the snow?

Homework Equations

I convert the N into grams?
and I have to put it into uh well you know one of those sine..

The Attempt at a Solution

well first I'm so confussed with the problem... eek, can someone please guide me through it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why were you thinking in converting "N into grams"?
Do you have any ideia how would you calculate the friction force?

The key word in the problem is |constant velocity|.
Draw a free body diagram, it will help, I promiss.

One more small tiblite of information, all forces are measured in N.

oooh, yeah I got it now. thanks.

What is friction and how does it affect objects?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of objects. It is caused by the interaction between two surfaces and can slow down or stop the movement of an object.

What factors affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by the roughness of the surfaces, the force pressing the two surfaces together, and the type of material the surfaces are made of.

What are the different types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, kinetic friction, and rolling friction. Static friction occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other. Kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are sliding against each other. Rolling friction occurs when an object is rolling over a surface.

How can the force of friction be calculated?

The force of friction can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force (the force perpendicular to the surface).

How can the force of friction be reduced?

The force of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. It can also be reduced by using smoother surfaces or by decreasing the force pressing the surfaces together.