Calculating Friction Force to Stop a Rolling Ball

In summary, the conversation is discussing the determination of the friction force needed to stop a ball that is rolling on a cement floor with a given weight and speed. One participant suggests that the magnitude of kinetic force would be equal to the friction force needed to stop the ball.
kristy_vincen
The question is BASICALLY: A ball is rolling on a cement floor (accelerating). Determine the friction force required to stop the ball.

Of course it gives you the weight and speed of the ball, and I believe i know the answer. I just want to check it.

If I figure out the magnitude of of kinetic force, would it not take the same amount of friction force to stop the ball? So the kinetic force = friction force?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi kristy! welcome to pf! :smile:
kristy_vincen said:
The question is BASICALLY: A ball is rolling on a cement floor (accelerating). Determine the friction force required to stop the ball.

Of course it gives you the weight and speed of the ball …

uh-uh :redface: … please tell us the exact question

1. What is friction force?

Friction force is the force that opposes the motion of an object. It is caused by the interaction between the surfaces of two objects that are in contact.

2. How is friction force related to a rolling ball?

When a ball is rolling, friction force acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the ball, causing it to slow down and eventually stop.

3. How do you calculate friction force on a rolling ball?

Friction force on a rolling ball can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of rolling friction by the weight of the ball. The coefficient of rolling friction is a constant that depends on the materials and surfaces in contact.

4. What factors affect the friction force on a rolling ball?

The friction force on a rolling ball can be affected by the weight of the ball, the surface materials and textures, as well as the speed and direction of the ball's motion.

5. How can friction force be reduced on a rolling ball?

Friction force can be reduced on a rolling ball by using smoother surfaces, reducing the weight of the ball, and using lubricants to decrease the coefficient of rolling friction.