Force of Friction: 25 kg Block Up Ramp 20m Long 3m High

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the force of friction between a 25 kg block being pulled up a ramp with a length of 20 meters and a height of 3 meters, using a constant force of 120 N. The conversation mentions using the work-energy theorem to calculate the change in kinetic energy and using the formula F.s = F.s.cos(angle between the F and s) to find the work done by each force. However, there is a mistake in the calculation of the friction force, which is pointed out by another person in the conversation. The correct solution is not provided and it is suggested to wait for the original poster to show their work.
rjulius

Homework Statement

A 25 kg block is pulled up a ramp 20 meters long and 3 meters high by a constant force of 120 N. If the box starts from rest and has a speed of 2 m/s at the top, what is the force of friction between the box and the ramp?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the work-energy theorem:
The work done on a body by the net force is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.​

SammyS said:
Use the work-energy theorem:
The work done on a body by the net force is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.​

Or, the work done by all the non-conservative forces is (negative) equal to the change in the total mechanical energy (kinetic + potential energy). Then, work done by a constant force is the product of the force and the displacement along the line in which the force is acting. If the angle is obtuse (opposite directions), then this work is negative.

please in formula? I can't understand the question coz i hadn't got any sleep yet sorry

Use the work-energy theorem : The work done by all forces on an object = change in it's kinetic energy.
(1) You've got the final and initial velocities, so you can get the change in kinetic energy.
(2) All the forces here are constant, so you can directly use F.s
(3)The forces are the applied force, friction, weight and normal reaction.
(4) Choose the coordinate system, preferably, with the an axis on the slope. You've also got the angle of the slope.
(5) You know the displacement. So, find out the work done by each force by using F.s = F.s.cos(angle between the F and s), and equate it to the change in kinetic energy.
You have one unknown, the force of friction, so one equation will take you through!

ashu2912 said:
use the work-energy theorem : The work done by all forces on an object = change in it's kinetic energy.
(1) you've got the final and initial velocities, so you can get the change in kinetic energy.
(2) all the forces here are constant, so you can directly use f.s
(3)the forces are the applied force, friction, weight and normal reaction.
(4) choose the coordinate system, preferably, with the an axis on the slope. You've also got the angle of the slope.
(5) you know the displacement. So, find out the work done by each force by using f.s = f.s.cos(angle between the f and s), and equate it to the change in kinetic energy.
You have one unknown, the force of friction, so one equation will take you through!

thank you very much for helping me, now i can sleep.

Good night. What's the answer by the way?

hehehe I am just answering it, but i think ill be over in no time . ill just post the answer right after.

thanks

Ashu2912 said:
Good night. What's the answer by the way?

im skeptical but i found out that its 2343.779092

seems big for a friction force? . . . is it?

rjulius said:

This is not an acceptable result for a force.

Dickfore said:
This is not an acceptable result for a force.

yeah you're right urrrghh ill just re-compute it when i wake up this morning, the dawn is getting over my brains.

may be a few hours or sleep would wake my brain up, well thanks for noticing my mistake. good day!

rjulius said:

Homework Statement

A 25 kg block is pulled up a ramp 20 meters long and 3 meters high by a constant force of 120 N. If the box starts from rest and has a speed of 2 m/s at the top, what is the force of friction between the box and the ramp?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Alternative 1.
The body will gain a certain amount of Potential energy - it is higher in elevation at the top of the slope than at the bottom.
The body has gained a certain amount of Kinetic energy - it is moving faster when it reaches the top.
In the absence of friction, what force would you need to achieve that? - let's say it was 85 N.
The friction Force must be the difference between the actual applied force and the required force - so if 85 was correct - friction would be 35N.

note: if when you work it out, 85n is the right interim answer, you may toast my guess - I just made up a number that was less than 120!

Alternative two:

Energy is added to the block when you apply the 120N Force along the full length of the slope.

Energy is taken from the block by the friction force, which also acts along the full length of the slope.

The gain in energy the block has is partly because it is higher up [mgh] and partly because it is now moving at a speed [1/2mv^2]

you can easily calcuate the Work done by the applied force, the Kinetic Enegy gained and the potential energy gained. From that you can calculate how much work is done by friction - and therefore the size of the Friction Force.

Peter

Moderator's note:

rjulius said:

rjulius: please show your work.

Others: please wait for rjulius to show his work before offering further help.

rjulius said:
yeah you're right urrrghh ill just re-compute it when i wake up this morning, the dawn is getting over my brains.

may be a few hours or sleep would wake my brain up, well thanks for noticing my mistake. good day!

Did you get enough sleep already? You never posted the correct solution.

1. What is the force of friction on the 25 kg block?

The force of friction on the 25 kg block depends on the coefficient of friction between the block and the ramp surface. This coefficient can vary depending on the materials of the block and the ramp. In order to calculate the force of friction, you would need to know the coefficient of friction and the normal force acting on the block.

2. How do you calculate the normal force on the block?

The normal force on the block is equal to the weight of the block, which is given by the mass of the block (25 kg) multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Therefore, the normal force on the block is 245 N.

3. How do you determine the coefficient of friction between the block and the ramp surface?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by conducting an experiment in which the block is placed on the ramp at different angles and the force of friction is measured. The coefficient of friction is then calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. This experiment can be repeated with different ramp surfaces to determine the average coefficient of friction between the block and the ramp.

4. What is the net force acting on the block?

The net force acting on the block is equal to the sum of all the forces acting on the block. In this scenario, the forces acting on the block are the force of friction, the normal force, and the force of gravity. Since the block is moving up the ramp at a constant velocity, the net force must be zero. This means that the force of friction must be equal and opposite to the force of gravity.

5. How does the length and height of the ramp affect the force of friction?

The length and height of the ramp can affect the force of friction by changing the angle of the ramp and therefore the normal force acting on the block. A longer ramp with a smaller angle would result in a smaller normal force and a smaller force of friction, while a shorter ramp with a steeper angle would result in a larger normal force and a larger force of friction. Therefore, the length and height of the ramp can impact the force of friction, but the coefficient of friction between the block and the ramp surface remains constant.