1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force of Friction

1. Jun 4, 2015 #1
    A driver of a 1,000kg car is traveling at a speed of 30m/sec when he sees an obstruction in the road. It takes driver .75sec to apply foot to brakes. The car begins to slow down at max rate possible for a coefficient of friction of .80 between the road and tires.

My question is: what is the force of friction acting to stop the car after the brakes are applied?

I would think the equation would be Ff=.8(1000kg) but I thought the force of friction needed to be in newtons and that doesn't give me a final answer in newtons.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2015 #2
    Nevermind, I forgot I left out 9.81m/sec2

4. Jul 6, 2015 #3
    Here the frictional force=retarding force. frictional force=f=(coefficient of friction)×(mg)=μmg; if stopping distance=s then v2=u2-2as where a=f/m=μg. as the car finally stops so v=0; put all the values....................

Hope you will find this link useful : https://problemsofphysics.wordpress.com/2015/07/06/more-than-50-thought-provoking-problems-on-friction/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted