Can mass play a factor in the force of gravity on Earth?

In summary, the equation for the acceleration of gravity on Earth states that different masses on Earth's gravitational acceleration is 9.8m/s^2, regardless of the mass of the object. However, this equation becomes untrue if the mass of the object is ignored.
Pratto
So I was thinking about the equation for the acceleration of gravity on earth, or g:

m*g=G*M(earth)*m/d^2

I guess it's universally accepted that different masses on Earth's gravitational acceleration is 9.8m/s^2, regardless of the mass of the object. This is because the two "m"s cancel out, no? But do they HAVE to cancel out? I mean, if mass is supposed to be a playing factor for gravity universally, wouldn't on Earth count too? That's like saying that me and another guy have a mass of 2*40kg=2*40kg, with my mass on the left and his on the right. Now, the two "2"s "can" cancel out, but if I did that, I would no longer have a mass of 80kg, I would only be 40kg, which simply isn't true. So doesn't canceling out the "m"s make the equation untrue as well? You don't have to necessarily cancel two variables out just because you can, because it could possibly make the equation "untrue", even if mathematically it's still correct, in reality it isn't "true".

Physics news on Phys.org
It gets worse. Not only do the 2's cancel out, but the 40 kgs cancel as well. You and your friend weigh nothing at all!

When you cancel out one of the masses from the gravitation force equation you end up with the acceleration the mass you've just got rid of experiences in the gravitational field of the other one.
But that's just one half of the whole shebang, as you can do it the other way - calculating the acceleration of e.g. Earth due to your mass. This is the way in which your mass counts.
Note that you no longer have a force then - it's the acceleration. It tells you that while the force depends on both masses, the acceleration does on just one.

If there existed an equation in which cancelling out variables invalidated it, then that equation would be false.

Look at your 80kg=80kg example. You're saying in it that whatever is on the left is equal to what is on the right. That you can cancel the two masses tells you that this equality is independent of the actual value of the masses, as long as they're the same. You can't really pin any more significance to it.

Hey pratto, welcome to physicsforums, buddy.
Like bandersnatch says, cancelling out the m's doesn't make the equation untrue. It then becomes an equation relating the acceleration of objects which are the same distance from the earth. And we find that the acceleration doesn't depend on the mass of the object, which is exactly what we expect to find (ignoring air resistance). Generally, when you rearrange an equation, you will end up with a different quantity as the subject of the equation. That is what is happening here.

Pratto said:
... I mean, if mass is supposed to be a playing factor for gravity universally, wouldn't on Earth count too? ...

When you use the resulting equation to calculate how long it takes the small mass to hit the ground, that's where you are ignoring the effect it's mass has on the answer. It is normally OK to do this, because the big M is so much bigger than small m; so that the acceleration of the Earth is entirely negligible. In "reality" the Earth is accelerating up towards the small m at the same time as the small m is accelerating down, so the distance closes faster than you calculate. You could figure out the magnitude of this error in the calc, you'd find it to be microscopically small.

The force between the two is

[tex] f = \frac {-G \ m_{object} \ m_{earth}} {r^2}[/tex]

The acceleration of the object with respect to the center of mass of the object and Earth = f / mobject

[tex] a_{object} = \frac {-G \ m_{earth}} {r^2}[/tex]

and the acceleration of the Earth would be:

[tex] a_{earth} = \frac {G \ m_{object}} {r^2}[/tex]

The acceleration of closure between the two is aobject - aearth :

[tex] \ddot{r} = \frac {-G (m_{object} + m_{earth} ) }{r^2} [/tex]

Hmm, lost yet another edit. As pointed out in the next post, assuming the object isn't some other huge object like the moon, then since mobject << mearth, then mobject + mearth ~= mearth. Wiki lists the mass of the Earth as 5.97219 × 1024 kg, where the least significant digit is 9 x 1019 kg. The object would need to be close to 1 x 1019 kg to even effect the least significant digit of the sum of mobject + mearth.

Last edited:
rcgldr said:

[tex] \ddot{r} = \frac {-G (m_{object} + m_{earth} ) }{r^2} [/tex]

However, the mass of the Earth is much greater than the mass of the object. Therefore,

rcgldr said:
[tex] \ddot{r} = \frac {m_{object} << m_{earth} } [/tex]

The sum of a large positive quantity and a small positive quantity is almost the same as the large positive quantity. Therefore,
rcgldr said:

[tex] \ddot{r} = \frac {-G m_{object} }{r^2} [/tex]

This is the same expression as the acceleration of an object on Earth with an Earth of infinite mass. So the measured acceleration is almost independent of the mass of the object.

Now here is a harder question. How does one copy a text equation in a post? Copied equations don't seem to come out right for me.

Last edited:

1. What is the force of gravity on Earth?

The force of gravity on Earth is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared. This means that for every second an object falls, its speed increases by 9.8 meters per second.

2. How is the force of gravity calculated on Earth?

The force of gravity on Earth is calculated using the equation F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. Does the force of gravity on Earth vary?

Yes, the force of gravity on Earth can vary depending on factors such as altitude, latitude, and local geology. However, these variations are very small and the force of gravity on Earth is generally considered to be constant.

4. How does the force of gravity on Earth affect objects?

The force of gravity on Earth causes objects to accelerate towards the center of the Earth. This means that objects will fall towards the ground, and the speed at which they fall will increase at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

5. Can the force of gravity on Earth be altered or controlled?

No, the force of gravity on Earth cannot be altered or controlled by humans. It is a natural phenomenon that is determined by the mass and distance of objects. However, we can manipulate the effects of gravity through technologies such as airplanes and rockets.