Force of Gravity on the tip of a giant snowcone

In summary, the problem involves finding the force of gravity exerted on a point mass located at the tip of a snowcone with constant density and radius. The internal angle of the cone is pi/4 in both directions. The equation used is F = -GmM(r)/r^2 and spherical coordinates are used in the solution attempt. It is suggested to solve the problem by superposition.
m00npirate

Homework Statement

I'm studying for a physics exam and made up the following problem to practice. Since I made it up there is no way to check my answer and I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback.

Find the force of gravity exerted on a point mass m at the tip of a snowcone (portion of a ball cut out by a cone where the radius of the sphere = the length of the side of the cone) with constant density ϱ and radius R. The internal angle of the cone is pi/4 in both directions.
snowcone.png

Homework Equations

F = -GmM(r)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used spherical coordinates
M(r)=ϱV(r)

M(r)=[tex]\frac{-\rho}{3}r^{3}\theta\cos\phi[/tex]

[tex]dM(r)=r^{2}\sin\phi dr d\phi d\theta[/tex]

[tex]F=\int_0^{\pi/4}\int_0^{\pi/4}\int_0^R \frac{-Gm\rho r^{2}}{r^{2}} \sin\phi dr d\phi d\theta[/tex]

[tex]F=-\frac{\pi}{4} Gm\rho\int_0^{\pi/4} \sin\phi d\phi \int_0^R dr [/tex]

[tex]F=-\frac{\pi}{4} Gm\rho R(\cos0-\cos\frac{\pi}{4})[/tex]

[tex]F=-\frac{\pi}{8} (2-\sqrt{2})Gm\rho R[/tex]

Also, I can't think of any way to find F(d) where d is the distance from the point of the cone. It might just be wishful thinking though.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I might consider solving by superposition.

The sum of the conical solid and the spherical one.

For the cone you can sum the individual disks of dm = ϱ*a(x)dx and then add the spherical section calculated from the distance of the cone height.

I guess I don't see the need to use the spherical coordinates.

First of all, great job on attempting to solve this problem using spherical coordinates. However, there are a few things that need to be addressed in your solution.

Firstly, the equation you used for the force of gravity, F = -GmM(r)/r^2, is actually the equation for the gravitational force between two point masses. In this problem, we are only dealing with a single point mass (m) at the tip of the snowcone, so this equation is not applicable.

Secondly, the equation for the mass of a cone, M(r) = (1/3)πr^2hρ, assumes that the cone has a circular base. In this problem, the base of the cone is not circular, but rather a portion of a sphere. Therefore, this equation cannot be used.

Instead, we can approach this problem by considering the snowcone as a series of thin concentric rings, each with a different radius and height. The mass of each ring can be approximated as dm = ρ2πrdr, where r is the radius of the ring and dr is the thickness of the ring. The force of gravity on each ring can then be calculated using the equation F = -Gm(dm)/r^2.

To find the total force of gravity on the snowcone, we can integrate the force over all the rings, from the base of the cone (r = 0) to the tip of the cone (r = R). This will give us the following integral:

F = -Gm∫(0 to R) ρ2πrdr/r^2

Simplifying this integral, we get:

F = -2πGmρ∫(0 to R) dr

F = -2πGmρR

This is the force of gravity on the entire snowcone, but we are interested in the force at the tip of the cone, where r = R. Therefore, we can simply substitute R into the equation and get the final answer:

F = -2πGmρR

This is the force of gravity on the tip of the snowcone. It is important to note that this is an approximation, as we have assumed the snowcone to be a series of thin concentric rings. However, it should be a good approximation for the given problem.

To find the force at a distance d from the tip of the cone, we can use the

What is the force of gravity on the tip of a giant snowcone?

The force of gravity on the tip of a giant snowcone would depend on the mass of the snowcone and the distance from the center of the Earth. The formula for calculating the force of gravity is F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them. So, the force of gravity on the tip of a giant snowcone would be greater than that of a smaller snowcone due to its larger mass.

Does the shape of the snowcone affect the force of gravity on its tip?

Yes, the shape of the snowcone can affect the force of gravity on its tip. This is because the formula for calculating force of gravity takes into account the distance between the two objects. So, if the tip of the snowcone is closer to the Earth's center, the force of gravity will be greater. A taller and narrower snowcone may have a greater force of gravity on its tip compared to a shorter and wider one.

How does the force of gravity on the tip of a giant snowcone compare to other objects?

The force of gravity on the tip of a giant snowcone would be much smaller compared to other objects such as planets or stars. This is because the mass of a snowcone is significantly less than that of a planet or star, and the distance from the center of the Earth is much smaller as well. Therefore, the force of gravity on the tip of a giant snowcone would be negligible in comparison.

Can the force of gravity on the tip of a giant snowcone be measured?

Yes, the force of gravity on the tip of a giant snowcone can be measured using a device called a gravimeter. This instrument measures the acceleration due to gravity at a given location and can be used to calculate the force of gravity. However, for a snowcone, the force of gravity would be very small and may be difficult to accurately measure.

How does the force of gravity on the tip of a giant snowcone affect its stability?

The force of gravity on the tip of a giant snowcone would contribute to its overall stability. If the force of gravity is stronger on one side of the snowcone, it may cause it to lean or topple over. The shape and size of the snowcone, as well as the surface it is placed on, would also play a role in its stability. Similarly, the force of gravity on the tip of a giant snowcone would also be affected by its stability, as any movement or shift in its position would change the distance between the snowcone and the Earth's center, altering the force of gravity acting on it.