Question: What force will a 30 kg meteor experience at the same altitude?

In summary, the meteor with a mass of 12 kg experiences an acceleration of 7.2 m/s2 when falling towards the Earth. Using the equation r = √ G m / g, the meteor is calculated to be 1060 km above the Earth's surface. At the same altitude, a 30 kg meteor would experience a force of 216 N towards the Earth.
MiniOreo1998

Homework Statement

A 12 kg meteor experiences an acceleration of 7.2 m/s2, when falling towards the Earth.

A) How high above the Earths’ surface is the meteor?

B) What force will a 30 kg meteor experience at the same altitude?

Starting to get more comfortable with my calculations. If there are any blunders or things I could have done to make my work more clear, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Homework Equations

r = √ G m / g

The Attempt at a Solution

A)

r = √ G m / g

r = (6.67 x 10-11) (5.98 x 1024) / 7.2 = 7.4 x 106

7.4 x 106 - 6.38 x 106 = 1060

r = 1060 km

B)

Mass is irrelevant

Physics news on Phys.org
Well done - I had a slight hesitation there thinking it may be a terminal velocity problem but the distance is too great for that and the context all wrong.

A. finesse the long-answers by writing a sentence stating the result:
"the meteor is 1060km above the Earth's surface".

B. Mass is relevant - the acceleration of gravity does not depend on the mass but the question asks for force.

MiniOreo1998 said:
r = 1060 km
Right answer, but I would have calculated it using ratio to 9.8m/s2: ##(R+x)^2g_{R+x}=R^2g_R##
MiniOreo1998 said:
Mass is irrelevant
Read the question more carefully.

Simon Bridge said:
Well done - I had a slight hesitation there thinking it may be a terminal velocity problem but the distance is too great for that and the context all wrong.

A. finesse the long-answers by writing a sentence stating the result:
"the meteor is 1060km above the Earth's surface".

B. Mass is relevant - the acceleration of gravity does not depend on the mass but the question asks for force.

haruspex said:
Right answer, but I would have calculated it using ratio to 9.8m/s2: ##(R+x)^2g_{R+x}=R^2g_R##

Read the question more carefully.

Wow, completely misread the question. How embarrassing..

Then F = m a,
F = (30) (7.2)
F = 216 N [toward Earth]

What is the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to each other.

How is the force of gravity calculated?

The force of gravity is calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of gravity is directly proportional to the product of the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What factors affect the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is affected by the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The force also increases as the masses increase and decreases as the distance between the objects increases.

Why is the force of gravity important?

The force of gravity is important because it is responsible for keeping objects in orbit around larger objects, such as planets orbiting around the sun. It also plays a crucial role in the formation and structure of the universe.

How does the force of gravity differ on different planets?

The force of gravity is dependent on the mass of the planet and the distance from its center. Therefore, the force of gravity will differ on different planets, with larger planets having a stronger force of gravity and smaller planets having a weaker force of gravity.