1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force of Gravity?

1. Aug 17, 2012 #1
    I started pondering random thoughts earlier today and this was one of them; what is the force of gravity between a proton and electron in a hydrogen atom? Using the equation to find this force (F = G[itex]\frac{}m[itex]_{}1[/itex] * m[itex]_{}2[/itex]{}r[itex]^{}2[/itex][/itex]) I came up with my answer. However I wanted to ensure that my math was correct (and values for that matter) so I came here to ask.

Mass of a Proton ≈ 1.67 * 10[itex]^{}-27[/itex]kg
    Mass of an Electron ≈ 9.1 * 10[itex]^{}-31[/itex]kg
    Distance ≈ 0.53 * 10[itex]^{}-10[/itex]m

Knowing that the gravitational constant is 6.667300 * 10[itex]^{}-11[/itex]N-m[itex]^{}2[/itex]/kg[itex]^{}2[/itex] I did the math and came up with ≈ 3.61 * 10[itex]^{}-47[/itex]. Can someone confirm or deny this answer for me, and if it is wrong break down the math so I can get the correct values on my next calculation.

Thanks,
    Taco

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook