How Can You Calculate the Force of Impact Without Knowing All Variables?

In summary, to calculate the force of a ball hitting the ground, you need to know the mass and speed of the ball, as well as the time it is in contact with the ground. The formula for force is (mass x speed)/time, with units of kilograms, meters/second, and seconds for mass, speed, and time respectively. However, calculating the time of contact can be difficult and may require making educated guesses based on factors such as the coefficient of restitution and deformation of the ball and ground.
Mike123mike
I have a scenario which is simply a ball hits the ground from above i know the mass of the ball and the speed in mph of the ball just before it hits the ground. No other variables are known, I need to know the force it hits the ground.

What is the best way to calculate it? I had thought F = m x a, but to calculate the acceleration I would need a distance?

Obviously I'm not a physics person and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You also need to know the length of time that the ball is in contact with the ground. The formula for the force exerted is:

Force = (mass of the ball) x (speed of the ball)/(time the ball is in contact with the ground)

In order that the force is measured in Newtons you must use the following units:

mass: kilograms
speed: metres/second
time: seconds

Last edited:
Thanks for that dave I don't suppose you can assist in calculating the time it is in contact with the ground as I suppose that time would vary depending on the speed too?

Impacts are tricky to just guess at. You'd have to make an educated guesstimate bases on Coefficient of restiution, deformation of ball and ground.

Even then you are only coming up with a very rough average to the impact event.

1. What is the definition of force of impact?

The force of impact, also known as impact force, is the amount of force exerted on an object when it collides with another object.

2. How is force of impact measured?

Force of impact is measured in Newtons (N), which is a unit of measurement for force in the International System of Units (SI).

3. What factors affect the force of impact?

The force of impact is affected by the mass and velocity of the impacting object, as well as the stiffness and surface area of the impacted object.

4. How does force of impact relate to injuries?

The force of impact can cause injuries to the human body, and the severity of the injury is often directly related to the amount of force exerted on the body.

5. How is force of impact calculated?

The force of impact can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration due to the impact.