Calculating Force of Light on a Mirror

In summary, a 4.5W flashlight with a wavelength of 550nm exerts a force of 1.5x10^-8 newtons on a perfect mirror.
joex444
"A 4.5W flashlight with a wavelength of 550nm is shined on a perfect mirror that reflects all the light completely. a) How many photon emanate from the flashlight? b) What force is exerted on the mirror by the beam of light?"

A is easy, 1.25x10^19 photon/sec.

My first attempt tried to exploit momentum, but I kept getting a dt in there, so that my answer was never in N, but rather N/s.

Then, after looking at units, I noticed that a Watt / (m/s) = N. So, I just said F = P / c ... so F = 4.5W / (3x10^8 m/s) = 1.5 x 10^-8 N.

Does this make any sense? Atleast its a small force...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
joex444 said:
"A 4.5W flashlight with a wavelength of 550nm is shined on a perfect mirror that reflects all the light completely. What force is exerted on the mirror by the beam of light?"

My first attempt tried to exploit momentum, but I kept getting a dt in there, so that my answer was never in N, but rather N/s.

Then, after looking at units, I noticed that a Watt / (m/s) = N. So, I just said F = P / c ... so F = 4.5W / (3x10^8 m/s) = 1.5 x 10^-8 N.

Does this make any sense? Atleast its a small force...

So you think the wavelength information is extraneous?

You were on the right track with the momentum idea. What is the momentum of a 550nm photon? What is its energy? How many photons hit the mirror every second if the power is 4.5W? How much is their momentum changed when they "bounce off" the mirror? How is force related to a change in momentum over a time interval?

Yea, I left out the first part of the question.

Anyways, p = h / l (l = lambda), and F = dp/dt. Now, if it hits straight on, p1 = h / 550nm; and p2 = - h / 550nm and dp = 2 h / 550nm.

Now, if I take dp and multiply by the answer from part a (photons/sec), I get 3x10^-8 N*photon. Photon isn't exactly a unit and can be dropped, leaving N.

joex444 said:
Yea, I left out the first part of the question.

Anyways, p = h / l (l = lambda), and F = dp/dt. Now, if it hits straight on, p1 = h / 550nm; and p2 = - h / 550nm and dp = 2 h / 550nm.

Now, if I take dp and multiply by the answer from part a (photons/sec), I get 3x10^-8 N*photon. Photon isn't exactly a unit and can be dropped, leaving N.
You don't know how long it takes for an individual photon to be turned around at the mirror, and you don't need to know. What the problem is looking for is an average force on the mirror over a finite time interval. You can assume the time dt for each photon is the average time between photon hits on the mirror, and dp is the momentum change you found for each photon. If you know how many photons hit the mirror every second, you can calculate dt and you can calculate the average force. The units will be fine.

1. What is the force of light on a mirror?

The force of light on a mirror refers to the exertion of energy by light particles (photons) on the surface of a mirror, which causes the reflection of light.

2. How does the force of light create a reflection on a mirror?

When light particles hit the surface of a mirror, they are absorbed and then re-emitted at the same angle as they hit the mirror, creating a reflection. This is known as the law of reflection.

3. Does the force of light on a mirror change depending on the angle of incidence?

Yes, the force of light on a mirror is directly proportional to the angle of incidence. The greater the angle of incidence, the greater the force of light and the more intense the reflection will be.

4. Can the force of light on a mirror be measured?

Yes, the force of light on a mirror can be measured using a device called a radiometer, which measures the amount of light being reflected off of a surface.

5. How does the force of light on a mirror affect the image we see?

The force of light on a mirror is what allows us to see a clear and accurate reflection in the mirror. The angle and intensity of the reflection determine the appearance of the image we see in the mirror.