1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force of magnitude

1. Feb 10, 2006 #1
    A pole-vaulter approaches the takeoff point at a speed of 6.00 m/s. Assuming that only this speed determines the height to which he can rise, find the maximum height at which the vaulter can clear the bar.
    in this 1 im lost...................
    I ONLUY GOT 1 GIVINGS (6.00 m/s )
    should i use the .....h0-hf = m ??

person is making homemade ice cream. She exerts a force of magnitude 19 N on the free end of the crank handle, and this end moves in a circular path of radius 0.32 m. The force is always applied parallel to the motion of the handle. If the handle is turned once every 1.9 s, what is the average power being expended?

i know that the P= WORK/TIME....
    AND P= CHANGE IN ENERGY/ TIME

I TRIDE BOTH ..BUT NONE OF THEM WORKED FOR ME...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Think in terms of energy conservation. The vaulter starts with some kinetic energy due to his speed; assume that that energy gets converted to gravitational potential energy to find the maximum height.

For every complete turn of the crank, how much work is done? Once you figure out the work, then compute the power.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?