1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force of one dipole on another; non-symmetric

1. Nov 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The dipole p1 lies on the z axis at the origin. p2 is at a distance r away . Using cylindrical coordinates, p2 is at angle θ down from the z axis (see diagram), and points in the z direction. r is assumed to be much greater than d (distance between charged ends of dipole) therefore are evaluated as pure dipoles. I need to find the force of p1 on p2.
    The question encourages us to refer back to the derivation of the formula: F=(p[itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]\nabla[/itex])E

2. Relevant equations
    V=(p1cosθ)/(4∏ε0r2)
    E(r,θ)=-[itex]\nabla[/itex]V(r,θ)

3. The attempt at a solution
    There is no dependence on ∅.
    The E-field by the potential is:
    E(r,θ)=|p|/(4∏ε0r3)(2cosθ[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]+sinθ[itex]\hat{θ}[/itex])
    I'm just unsure of how to solve this. Do I multiply the |p|/(4∏ε0r3) component into the (2cosθ[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]+sinθ[itex]\hat{θ}[/itex]) and then take the gradient of that beast? Just point me in the right direction please! :)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?