Calculating Spring Compression from a Collision with No Friction

In summary, the body of mass slides without friction from rest at height H to a lower height h, where it encounters a horizontal spring with strength k. by how much does it compress the spring?
atomant
A body of mass m slides without friction from rest at height H to a lower height h, where it encounters a horizontal spring with strength k. by how much does it compress?

To solve this i was wondering if we needed to take into account the changes in energy of the body. i.e 1/2 mv^2=mgh and if the force of the collision can be substitiuted into mg=kx?

Physics news on Phys.org
exactly right, think of the problem setup as two sub cases. since there are no dissaptive forces in the problem then all the potential energy will be converted to kinetic energy, if we take our zero for the potential at the level of the spring. so this is the first part. now treat this as the initial condition for the second part, so the particle now has the total kinetic energy and use the energy theorem again to assume that the total kinetic goes into potential for compressing the spring. hope this helps, sincerely, x

so the total potential energy mgh is=kx. but I don't understand that, as the question does not give any values how do I answer the question?. If I was to solve for x the equation would read as x=mgh/k. So o I just state that the compression is equall to the mgh/k or is there another method for answering this. Thanks!

you're on the right path for the trip down, assuming the particle starts at rest then we have
[tex] T_{f}^{part1} = U_{i}^{part1}\Rightarrow T_{f}^{part1} = mg (H-h) [/tex]
now
[tex]T_{f}^{part1}= T_{i}^{part2} = U_{f}^{part2}-U_{i}^{part2} \Rightarrow mg(H-h)=\frac{k}{2} x^{2} - m g h [/tex]
and solve for [tex] x [/tex]
Note that you may of course set the potential of at h to zero and initially and you get the same answer.
[tex] mgH=\frac{k}{2} x^{2} [/tex]
either way.

Last edited:
I see, it's clear except for the T_{f} and U_{i} part. That is suppose to represent the final kinetic (T_{f}) and initial potential (U_{i}) right?

So just to be clear, T(f) is the final kinetic energy and U(i) is the initial potential energy. Is that correct?

atomant said:
So just to be clear, T(f) is the final kinetic energy and U(i) is the initial potential energy. Is that correct?
Yeah, the gravitational potential energy is completely converted into mechanical kinetic energy for the first part of problem so
[tex] T=KE=\frac{m}{2}v^{2}=U=mgH-h\Rightarrow T_{f}=U_{i} \Rightarrow T_{f} =m g H [/tex] where we take the height at [tex] h [/tex] the zero for the potential energy. Now for the second part we assume the particle hitting the spring has the initial kinetic energy from the final kinetic energy of the first part of problem -- note, it is this kinetic energy that will go into compressing the spring, which we assume all the kinetic energy is again converted into potential, but this time the potential is in the compression of the spring. So
[tex] U_{spring} = T_{i}^{part2}=T_{f}^{part1}=U_{grav}^{part1}\Rightarrow
\frac{k}{2}x^{2} = m g H\Rightarrow x=\sqrt{\frac{2mgH}{k}} [/tex]

1. What is the force of a collision?

The force of a collision is the amount of energy transferred between two objects during a collision. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the force of a collision calculated?

The force of a collision can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object during the collision.

3. What factors affect the force of a collision?

The force of a collision is affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved. The greater the mass and velocity of an object, the greater the force of the collision will be.

4. Can the force of a collision be reduced?

Yes, the force of a collision can be reduced by increasing the time of the collision. This can be achieved by adding padding or cushions to the objects or by making the objects deformable.

5. How does the force of a collision relate to injuries?

The force of a collision is directly related to the severity of injuries sustained. The greater the force, the more potential for serious injuries. This is why it is important to reduce the force of a collision, especially in activities such as sports and car accidents.