Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force of Tractive Resistance on a Vehicle

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1
    I have been working on this for a while. I am trying to find the power required to move a 7100 lb vehicle over a variety of scenarios, but am having trouble calculating the force of tractive resistance.

I found what i thought was a pretty exhaustive equation for the force of tractive resistance:
    FTR=mg[sin[itex]\alpha[/itex]+C0sgn(V)]+sgn(V)[mgC1+([itex]\rho[/itex]/2)CDAF]V2+ma
    where:
    C0=dimensionless coefficient of rolling resistance
    [itex]\alpha[/itex]=the angle of the surface the vehicle is navigating
    C1=Coefficient of rolling resistance while in motion, calculated by (when C0=0.01) C1=C0(V2/100)
    [itex]\rho[/itex]=air density (lb/ft3
    CD=drag coefficient
    AF=frontal area of the vehicle (ft2)
    V=velocity (fps)
    g=32fps2

So far, I have gotten this for one scenario, going 20 mph in sand:
    FTR=(7100)[sin(0)+0.35]+[(7100)(0.35(29.3/35))+(0.0718/2)(0.75)(22)](29.3)2=1.06037E6
    I used 29.3fps as velocity because that would give me the answer in ft/lbs, and calculated C1=0.35(29.3/35) because I figured '100' would change based on C0. I also thought this number was astronomically large, especially since it would be multiplied by velocity to find the required power to meet the scenario requirements. I have also donr the same with several other scenarios, and gotten really big numbers

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook