1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force of water in a container

1. Jun 15, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone, newbie here.. sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

We just went over fluids today. And I can’t seem to solve a problem that has to do with force due to pressure. The problem is: An open U shaped container is filled with water to the top. What is the force due to the water on side A?

Now pressure = (density)*(gravity)*(height) I believe.
    Force is pressure*area. Since side A is a square, that’s simply length squared for area.

So I believe the equation to use in this case is Force = (density)*(gravity)*(height)*(Area).

But for some reason, I keep getting the wrong answer. Here’s a badly drawn picture of the container. Can anyone give me some pointers?

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Since it's an open container, don't forget to include the effect of atmospheric pressure. Otherwise, your thinking is correct (assuming you use the correct height).

4. Jun 15, 2006 #3

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Looks ok to me, Maybe you should check your units.

5. Jun 15, 2006 #4
    Thank you for the help! Turns out it was atmospheric pressure. You have to add it to the pressure of the water and then multiply by area to get force.

I should read more carefully. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?