Force of weight of the suspended ball

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of various factors related to two pith balls with equal charges that are brought together and repel each other. These factors include the force of weight of the suspended ball, the force of repulsion between the two balls, and the net charge on each ball. The conversation also provides some guidance on how to approach the calculation, specifically using the components of the force due to gravity and balancing it with the repulsive force of the charges. The conversation ends with the person expressing their gratitude for the help.
Biya
i kinda need help. okay I am posting my question:
Two pith balls have a mass of 1.0g and have equal charges. One pith ball is suspended by an insulating thread. The other is attached to a static insulator and is brought close to the suspended ball so that they are 5 cm apart when repulsion occurs. After repulsion, they come to rest such that both are at the same height above ground. The suspended ball is now hanging with the thread forming a 30 degree angle with respect to its former position. Calculate the following:
1-Force of weight of the suspended ball.
2-The force of repulsion between the two.
3-The net charge on each.
I have no idea how to find out the force of repulsion and the net charge. We can find the weight my using the W=mg formula. So I'm confused with that. I need help . Thank God i found this cool forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The weight factor in the other parts isn't a simple W = mg problem. Try considering the force due to gravity as a torque and the repulsion from the other ball as a countertorque. I hope this gets you started.

vsage said:
The weight factor in the other parts isn't a simple W = mg problem. Try considering the force due to gravity as a torque and the repulsion from the other ball as a countertorque. I hope this gets you started.
I didn't get it do you mean gravitational force by force due to gravity?
i didnt get it :uhh: :uhh: :frown:

The force due to the Earth's gravity has components is what I'm referring to. These components can be broken up into components parallel and perpendicular to the line between the centers of the two balls. (namely mgcos(30) and mgsin(30)) If you set the force of gravity acting to push one ball toward the other and balance it with the repulsive force of the charge on the two balls you should find your answer. Clearer?

vsage said:
The force due to the Earth's gravity has components is what I'm referring to. These components can be broken up into components parallel and perpendicular to the line between the centers of the two balls. (namely mgcos(30) and mgsin(30)) If you set the force of gravity acting to push one ball toward the other and balance it with the repulsive force of the charge on the two balls you should find your answer. Clearer?

Ys yes yes yes thank u thank u thank thanku :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :biggrin:

What is the force of weight of the suspended ball?

The force of weight of a suspended ball is the downward force exerted by the Earth's gravitational pull on the ball. This force is also known as the ball's weight.

How is the force of weight of the suspended ball calculated?

The force of weight of a suspended ball can be calculated by multiplying its mass (in kilograms) by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 meters per second squared). This calculation results in the force of weight measured in Newtons.

What factors affect the force of weight of the suspended ball?

The force of weight of a suspended ball is affected by the mass of the ball, the strength of the Earth's gravitational pull, and the distance between the ball and the Earth's center of mass.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in Newtons.

How does the force of weight of the suspended ball change on different planets?

The force of weight of a suspended ball will change on different planets because the strength of gravity varies depending on the planet's mass and size. For example, on a planet with a smaller mass and size than Earth, the force of weight of the suspended ball would be less than on Earth.