1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Force on a Box - Find Weight

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You push down on a box at an angle 15° below the horizontal with a force of 650 N. If the box is on a horizontal surface and the coefficient of static friction is 0.7, what is the heaviest box you will be able to move?

2. Relevant equations

F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

So I've solved this problem using Fnet which was 650cos15 for the horizontal force and then subtracted [tex](\mu_s)(9.80)(m)[/tex] The ma part goes to zero since it's not accelerating.

Therefore I get [tex]650cos15 = (\mu)(9.80)(m)[/tex] and then solve for m.

I thought that was it. But now that I thinking about it more, there is a vertical component for the force. I'd imagine that extra force would make the box seem to weigh more, thereby increasing friction, making the box weigh less.

Do I factor that vertical force in? If so, how?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2010 #2
    Ah! Maybe like this?

[tex]650cos15 = [((\mu)(9.80)(m))+(650sin15)[/tex]

All I did here was add in the vertical force component to the friction.

Yeah...that isn't right since my box ends up weighing 2kg.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  4. Mar 8, 2010 #3
    Your above equation is correct.Though you will multiply the coefficient of friction to both the weight as well as 650sin15

5. Mar 8, 2010 #4
    Nice.

So something like this?

[tex]650cos15 = [((\mu)(9.80)(m))+((\mu)(650sin15))][/tex]

6. Mar 8, 2010 #5
    Yeah,that's correct.

7. Mar 8, 2010 #6
    Thanks for the help!:approve:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook