Solving Physics Problems: 2.00 kg Box Moving Right

In summary: In that case, the box would continue to move with constant velocity (9 m/s) in the same direction, and the answer would be much simpler. But I don't know if that's what they intended.In summary, the problem involves a 2.00 kg box moving to the right with a speed of 9.00 m/s on a frictionless surface. A horizontal force of magnitude 6.00 N is applied to the box in the left direction at t=0. The goal is to determine the distance the box moves before its speed is reduced to zero and the speed of the box at t = 3.00s if the force continues to be applied. The equations F=ma, x=(1
Rookie8391

Homework Statement

A 2.00 kg box is moving to the right with a speed of 9.00 m/s, on a horizontal frictionless surface. At t = 0, a horizontal force is applied to the box. The force is directed to the left and has a magnitude F(t) = 6.00 N
A) What distance does the box move from its position at t = 0 before its speed is reduced to zero?
B) If the force continues to be applied what is the speed of the box at t = 3.00s.

Homework Equations

F = ma.
x = (1/2)at2 + Vot + Xo
Vf = at + Vo

The Attempt at a Solution

A) My thinking was that we already know that F = ma. So if F = -6.00N and m = 2.00 kg, then a = -3 (saying the force is being applied in the negative direction.)
Also, we know that Vf = at + Vo, I use this to find how long it takes to stop. 0 = -3t + 9. Here I find t = 3. Lastly, I use x = (1/2)at2 + Vot + Xo to find the distance. x = (1/2)(-3)(3)2 + 9(3). Here i get x = 13.5.
B) What I used here was Vf = at + Vo. So - Vf = (-3)(3) + 9, which I get to equal zero.

These were my attemps at solving, but I was wrong, If anyone can help find the problem either with the math or the way of thinking, please let me know, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rookie8391 said:

Homework Statement

A 2.00 kg box is moving to the right with a speed of 9.00 m/s, on a horizontal frictionless surface. At t = 0, a horizontal force is applied to the box. The force is directed to the left and has a magnitude F(t) = 6.00 N
A) What distance does the box move from its position at t = 0 before its speed is reduced to zero?
B) If the force continues to be applied what is the speed of the box at t = 3.00s.

Homework Equations

F = ma.
x = (1/2)at2 + Vot + Xo
Vf = at + Vo

The Attempt at a Solution

A) My thinking was that we already know that F = ma. So if F = -6.00N and m = 2.00 kg, then a = -3 (saying the force is being applied in the negative direction.)
Also, we know that Vf = at + Vo, I use this to find how long it takes to stop. 0 = -3t + 9. Here I find t = 3. Lastly, I use x = (1/2)at2 + Vot + Xo to find the distance. x = (1/2)(-3)(3)2 + 9(3). Here i get x = 13.5.
B) What I used here was Vf = at + Vo. So - Vf = (-3)(3) + 9, which I get to equal zero.

These were my attemps at solving, but I was wrong, If anyone can help find the problem either with the math or the way of thinking, please let me know, thank you.

Hi Rookie8391, welcome to Physics Forums.

I don't see any problems with your analysis. Perhaps there's an error in the problem statement itself, or in the answer key.

Is it possible that for (b) they meant to say that the force continues to be applied for 3s after the box achieves zero velocity?

What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of the box?

The formula for acceleration is a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is the force applied, and m is the mass of the object.

What is the initial velocity of the box?

The initial velocity of the box is the speed at which it starts moving, which can be determined by measuring the distance and time it takes for the box to start moving.

How do you calculate the net force acting on the box?

To calculate the net force, you need to add up all the forces acting on the box, taking into account their direction and magnitude. This can be done using vector addition or by using the formula Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass of the box, and a is the acceleration.

What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force and acceleration are directly proportional. This means that as the force applied to an object increases, its acceleration will also increase, and vice versa.

How do you solve for the final velocity of the box?

To solve for the final velocity of the box, you can use the formula vf = vi + at, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Alternatively, you can use the formula vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad, where d is the distance the box has traveled.