1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on a box

1. Sep 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A box of m= 25 kg is pulled by a rope with a force of tension, F = 40 N inclined at an angle of 30o with the horizontal, there is no friction between the box and the ground.
    b) Determine
    the acceleration of the box.
    c) Write the equation to find the acceleration
    of the box in presence of a friction force of 3.0
    N.
    d) If a small box of 5kg with a frictional force of 2.0 N is placed against the right side of the box. Would the big box move? If so what would its acceleration be?

Please check my work and let me know if I've made any mistakes..

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

B) F = ma

(40N*Cos(30))/(25kg) = acceleration = 1.38 m/s^2

C)
    ∑Fx = F - Ff = ma
    = (40N(cos(30) - 3N)/(25kg) = 1.26 m/s^2

d) So for this one I used the same equation I came up with in C) except mass is now 30kg because it's 25 kg box + the 5 kg box and the friction force is now 5 N

∑Fx = F - Ff = ma
    = (40N(cos(30) - 5N)/(30kg) = 0.988 m/s^2

Now I don't know how to answer the word part... I would say yes it would move because their is a positive acceleration

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

B: did you check the vertical component ... does the box stay on the ground?
    D: it seems to want you to say if the box would move without first calculating the acceleration ... i.e. compare the friction forces to the rope force.

4. Sep 13, 2015 #3
    I'm sorry I don't quite understand how could i tell by the vertical component whether it would stay on the ground or not?

5. Sep 13, 2015 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The vertical component would be how hard the rope pulls the box upwards ... is that hard enough to pull the box off the ground?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted