Force on 3rd Charge w/ 7.98nC: 3.17E-5N

In summary, the third charge has a value of 7.98 nano coulombs and we need to find the magnitude of the total force exerted by the first two charges on the third charge. The first charge is -0.779 micro coulombs and exerts an upward 0.412 N force on an unknown charge located 0.300 m directly below it. Using the equation F=kQ1Q2/R2 and the given values, the magnitude of the unknown charge was found to be 5.30E-6. However, when attempting to calculate the total force by summing the forces from the first two charges to the third charge, the answer was slightly off by 1x10^3.
Digdug12

Homework Statement

Keeping all other values the same in the problem suppose now that the third charge has a value of 7.98 nano coulombs. What is the magnitude of the total force exerted by the first two charges on the third charge. Give your answer in scientific notation to three significant digits in Newtons.

The previous information was:

A negative charge –0.779 micro coulombs exerts an upward 0.412 N force on an unknown charge 0.300 m directly below it. What is the magnitude of the unknown charge?

I found the magnitude of the unknown charge to be 5.30E-6

Homework Equations

F=kQ1Q2/R2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the basic F=kQ1Q2/R2 equation, substituting in the new charge, and using the one I found in the previous problem, keeping the distance of .300m the same. This didnt work, so I tried to sum the forces from force one->Force Three and Force two-> force three, but the answer came out 1x10^3 to big, and slightly off. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the third charge with respect to the other two? If this is not specified, the question can't be answered.

I would approach this problem by first checking my calculations and making sure I am using the correct units and values for the charges and distance. I would also double check my use of scientific notation to ensure accuracy. If I am still getting an incorrect answer, I would consider the possibility of a conceptual error in my understanding of the problem and the equation for calculating force between charges. I may also consult with other scientists or resources to verify my approach and calculations.

1. What is the formula for calculating force on a third charge with a charge of 7.98nC and a distance of 3.17E-5N?

The formula for calculating force on a third charge is F = (k * q1 * q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 N⋅m^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the first and second charges, and r is the distance between the two charges.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of the force on the third charge?

To calculate the magnitude of the force on the third charge, use the formula F = (k * q1 * q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the first and second charges, and r is the distance between the two charges.

3. What is the unit for force on the third charge in this scenario?

The unit for force on the third charge is newtons (N).

4. How does the distance between the two charges affect the force on the third charge?

The distance between the two charges has an inverse relationship with the force on the third charge. This means that as the distance between the two charges increases, the force on the third charge decreases and vice versa.

5. How do the charges of the first and second charges affect the force on the third charge?

The charges of the first and second charges have a direct relationship with the force on the third charge. This means that as the charges of the first and second charges increase, the force on the third charge also increases and vice versa.