Measuring Force on a Fishing Rod: Equation and Sample Problem

• Thread starter stuhr727
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Rod
In summary: Euler solved for the stress field, and that's what a strain gauge measures. In summary, a strain gauge measures strain and can be used to calculate force.
stuhr727
I am looking into building my own fishing rod and am really lost on how to measure force exerted strictly on a pole as it bends. I think I'll have to use a strain gauge but I can't even find an equation to measure the force.

Can anyone provide the equation, variables, and sample problem? I'd like to solve for force, ill have the Modulus of Elasticity ε.

Ideally solve from the output of the strain gauge.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to measure the force applied to the pole, put a dynamometer (force gauge) in the fishing line and pull.

Strain gauges measure strain, not force.

SteamKing said:
If you want to measure the force applied to the pole, put a dynamometer (force gauge) in the fishing line and pull.

Strain gauges measure strain, not force.

A dynamometer won't account for the force being distributed across the pole. All of the guides and the bend will make the force gauge reading on the line less than what it really is.

Understand strain gauges measure strain...but you can use strain to calculate force. Can someone smart reply.

stuhr727 said:
A dynamometer won't account for the force being distributed across the pole. All of the guides and the bend will make the force gauge reading on the line less than what it really is.

Understand strain gauges measure strain...but you can use strain to calculate force. Can someone smart reply.

Euler (who was fairly smart by most accounts :smile:) worked out the mathematics of bent rods about 250 years ago, if that's what you're looking for. It's quite involved - lots of nasty elliptical integrals :frown:

I think you might be confused about the forces involved here. SteamKing is correct - a force gauge in the fishing line will tell you exactly the force exerted on the rod by the line. Inside the rod, life is complicated because various bits of the rod exert different forces on various other bits of the rod. It's not like there's one force "all the way through the rod". Instead, there's a continuously varying stress field.

I can provide you with the equation and variables needed to measure the force exerted on a fishing rod. Firstly, you are correct in thinking that a strain gauge is necessary to measure this force. A strain gauge is a device that measures the strain or deformation of an object, which can be used to calculate the force exerted on the object.

The equation you will need to use is Hooke's Law, which states that the force (F) applied to an object is directly proportional to the change in length (ΔL) of the object, and is also dependent on the object's modulus of elasticity (ε). This can be written as F=εΔL.

The variables in this equation are:

F - force applied to the fishing rod
ε - modulus of elasticity of the fishing rod
ΔL - change in length of the fishing rod

To solve for force, you will need to know the modulus of elasticity of your fishing rod, which can be found in the specifications provided by the manufacturer. You will also need to measure the change in length of the fishing rod when a force is applied. This can be done using the strain gauge.

A sample problem to demonstrate the use of this equation could be as follows:

A fishing rod has a modulus of elasticity of 10,000 N/m^2. A strain gauge attached to the rod measures a change in length of 0.05 m when a force is applied. What is the force exerted on the fishing rod?

Using the equation F=εΔL, we can plug in the given values to solve for force:

F= (10,000 N/m^2)(0.05 m) = 500 N

Therefore, the force exerted on the fishing rod is 500 N.

I hope this helps you in your project of building your own fishing rod. Remember to always use proper safety precautions when conducting experiments involving force and strain. Good luck!

What is force on a fishing rod?

Force on a fishing rod refers to the amount of external force that is applied to the rod while fishing. It can be caused by various factors such as the weight of the fish, the tension of the fishing line, and the resistance of the water.

How does the force on a fishing rod affect the fishing experience?

The force on a fishing rod can greatly impact the fishing experience. A higher force can make it easier to reel in a larger or stronger fish, but it can also make the rod more difficult to control and potentially cause it to break.

What is the relationship between force on a fishing rod and the fishing line?

The force on a fishing rod is directly related to the tension on the fishing line. As the force increases, so does the tension on the fishing line, and vice versa. This tension is what allows the angler to reel in the fish.

How can I increase the force on my fishing rod?

There are several ways to increase the force on a fishing rod. One way is to use a heavier fishing line, which can handle more weight and tension. Another way is to use a longer fishing rod, which can provide more leverage and force when reeling in a fish.

What happens if the force on a fishing rod is too high?

If the force on a fishing rod becomes too high, it can put too much strain on the rod and potentially cause it to break. It can also make it difficult to control the rod and potentially cause the fish to break free. It is important to use the appropriate amount of force based on the size and weight of the fish being caught.