What is the relationship between force and height when lifting an object?

• Thread starter yyttr2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between force, work, and gravitational potential energy in lifting objects. The equation F=mgh is mentioned, but it is clarified that this is the same as the equation for potential energy. The question of whether force is equal to mgh is raised, and the correct equation is stated as W=mgh. It is also mentioned that F=mg if doing the minimum work to overcome gravity.
yyttr2
Is the force done on a lifted object equal the weight of the object in Newtons times the height lifted?
F=mgh?
I would have used this but I noticed it was the same equation for gravitational potential energy (or just potential energy)...So I thought I would ask you all after failing to find it online.

Physics news on Phys.org
yyttr2 said:
Is the force done on a lifted object equal the weight of the object in Newtons times the height lifted?
I suspect you meant work instead of force.
F=mgh?
I would have used this but I noticed it was the same equation for gravitational potential energy (or just potential energy)...So I thought I would ask you all after failing to find it online.
Yes, the work you must do to lift an object equals the increase in gravitational potential energy.

no, no I was talking about force. I am trying to find the change in gravitational potential energy from a 2.0 object being lifted 3.5 meters.
So I thought I would find Ke at the bottom.

[tex]\sum w=\Delta ke[/tex]

W=F.d

So I want to know if F=mgh
:)

If I am completely full of crap and doing it wrong please tell me o_O

yyttr2 said:
W=F.d

So I want to know if F=mgh
No, F = mg (the weight). (Assuming you are doing the minimum work to overcome gravity.)

So W = Fd = mgh.

oh, duh xD I feel stupid now. thank you.

What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the push or pull on an object caused by its interaction with another object.

How is force measured?

Force is typically measured in newtons (N) using a force meter or scale. One newton is defined as the amount of force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F = ma, where F is force in newtons, m is mass in kilograms, and a is acceleration in meters per second squared. This formula is known as Newton's second law of motion.

How does force affect a lifted object?

When an object is lifted, the force acting on it is equal to the object's weight, which is the force of gravity pulling it towards the Earth. If the force applied to lift the object is greater than its weight, the object will accelerate upwards. If the force is equal to its weight, the object will remain in a state of equilibrium and not move. If the force is less than its weight, the object will accelerate downwards.

How does the force on a lifted object change with altitude?

The force on a lifted object decreases as altitude increases due to the decrease in gravitational force. This is because as an object is lifted further from the Earth's surface, it is further from the source of the gravitational force (the Earth's mass).