1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on an elastic string

1. Nov 28, 2013 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a constant volume elastic string. A change in internal energy of the string is given by dU = TdS + fdL.

The elastic string obeys the following two equations; $$\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial L}\right)_L = \gamma_1 T\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial T}\right)_L = \gamma_2L,$$ ##\gamma_1, \gamma_2## constants.

A) Why do we require ##\gamma_1 = \gamma_2##
    B)Derive an expression for f(T,L). Explain whether this expression gives a complete thermodynamic description of the system.

2. Relevant equations
    Total differential

3. The attempt at a solution
    A) It is not exactly clear to me why the constants have to be the same. I was thinking that since L and T are independent variables that ##\gamma_1, \gamma_2## may be interpreted as separation constants, but I am unsure.

B)If ##df = \gamma_1 T dL + \gamma_2 L dT##, then I am tempted to write ##\Delta f = \gamma_2 T \Delta L + \gamma_2 L \Delta T##, but I don't think this is correct since L ( and T) are not state variables.

I think the resulting expression will give a complete thermodynamic description since we have expressed f as a function of two independent variables, and we have specified what is being held constant in each case.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A) What property of the string do the gammas represent?

B) Are you no longer requiring that ##\gamma_1 = \gamma_2## ?

What does that subscript L after the partials, in your equations, mean?

Aren't you looking for f(L,T) rather than delta-f?

If L (and T) are not state variables, then does the expression give "a complete thermodynamic description of the system"?

4. Nov 28, 2013 #3
    If you take the partial of the first equation with respect to T, you get [tex]\frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial T \partial L}[/tex]. What do you get if you take the partial of the second equation with respect to L?

5. Nov 29, 2013 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

There is a typo in the OP, the first partial derivative should be at constant T, not L. I figured that if I can find delta f, then this can be replaced by f - fo and so when I rearrange I will have an expression for f. But since L and T are not state variables, the integral will be path dependent and so what I did (I think) is not correct. Do you have a pointer in the right direction?
    Thanks.

6. Nov 29, 2013 #5
    Good. So if you follow what I said in my previous post, you will find that γ12=γ. You also know that:

[tex]df=\frac{\partial f}{\partial L}dL+\frac{\partial f}{\partial T}dT[/tex]
    Substitute your original two equations into this relationship and see what you get.

7. Nov 29, 2013 #6

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes, I got to ##df = \gamma[TdL + LdT]## and then said ##f= f_0 + \gamma[T(L_2-L_1) + L(T_2-T_1)]##. I Think this is incorrect because L and T are not state variables.

8. Nov 29, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Seems reasonable.
    That would only be an approximation for small changes, ##L_2-L_1## and ##T_2-T_1##. Why not the more obvious solution
    f = γLT+c
    ?
    That would be a concern if you were deriving an expression for U, but it's not obvious to me that it matters in finding expression for f. After all, finding an equation for f as a function of L and T is exactly what you were asked to do.

9. Nov 30, 2013 #8

CAF123

Gold Member

Hi haruspex,
    Could you explain a bit more why this is only valid for small changes?

The reason I thought I did something wrong was because the integral I computed was $$\int_{f_0}^{f'} df = \gamma \left( T \int_{L_1}^{L_2} dL + L \int_{T_1}^{T_2} dT\right)$$ L and T are not state variables, so I think I need to specify the path. But I have only specified the end points here, and not the actual path.

10. Nov 30, 2013 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looking at it again, I'm not even sure what your equation means. I assume T1, L1 refer to some initial state and T2, L2 to a final state, but you also have T and L. What do they represent?
    Maybe you meant f2 =f1+γ[T2 L2 - T1 L1)], which comes to the same as I posted. E.g. consider the case where one changes then the other:
    L: L1 L2 L2
    T: T1 T1 T2
    So f first increases by (L2-L1)T1, then by (T2-T1)L2. Total increase T2L2-T1L1.

Going back to your OP equations, I guess you meant
    ##\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial L}\right)_T = \gamma_1T## (the subscript denoting which variable stays constant, yes?).
    You can integrate that straight away to obtain ##f = \gamma_1 T L + g(T)##. With the other differential, we likewise get ##f = \gamma_2 T L + h(L)##.
    But if that's a problem, would it not apply to any solution f = f(L, T)? In which case, how can you answer the question? The equations dictate this result - how can it be wrong?
    Maybe the path matters for U but not for f?

11. Nov 30, 2013 #10
    Have you learned the rule about differentiation of a product? d(uv) = udv+vdu

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted