How Much Force Is Exerted on a Bullet When Fired from a Gun?

• Thread starter bob24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
The correct calculation should be F=0.0141 kg(495720 ft/s^2) = 7040.52 N. So your final answer is correct, but the calculation leading up to it was not.
bob24

Homework Statement

A gun weighs 10lbs and the barrel length is 10.2 inches. It fires a .45 caliber bulect weighing .0328lbs at a speed of 918ft/s. How much force is exerted on the bullet when fired?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I did. Keep in mind that it is wrong, but when I did it I believed it to the correct method.
Vi=0
vf=918
s=.85 ft
a=?
918^2=1.7a
a=495720ft/s(squared)

F=ma
F=.3105kg(495720)
F=153921.06 N

TRIED IT AGAIN:
MbAb=MgAg
(.001018634)(495720)=.3105a
a=1626.27
F=ma
F=(.3105)(1626.27)
F=504.95(aprox.)
Is this correct?

If not, what should I do instead?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
F=ma
F=.3105kg(495720)

I think you switched to the metric system for the mass.

so was my 1st method right or was the second method right?

I'm not sure what your second method is. But the first method looks fine up to the F=ma.

1. What is force?

Force is any interaction that causes a change in motion or shape of an object. It is measured in units of Newtons (N) and can be represented by a vector with magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate force?

Force is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration, using the formula F = ma. This is known as Newton's second law of motion. The unit of force, Newtons, can also be broken down into kg*m/s^2.

3. What factors affect the force on an object?

The force on an object can be affected by its mass, acceleration, and the presence of other forces acting on it. The direction and angle of the force can also impact the resulting motion of the object.

4. How do you determine the net force on an object?

The net force on an object is the sum of all the individual forces acting on it. If there are forces acting in the same direction, they can simply be added together. If there are forces acting in opposite directions, they can be subtracted to find the net force.

5. How does force affect an object's motion?

According to Newton's first law of motion, an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a net external force. Therefore, force can cause an object to change its motion or speed, or to change direction.