1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on ball at an angle

1. Oct 19, 2015 #1

faiziqb12

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a mass of 100g strikes the wall with speed 5 m/s at an angle of 60 degrees to the wall and it rebounds with the same speed. if the contact time is 2 * 10^ -3 , what is the force applied by the wall and in what direction?

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried solving the question by using the wall as the y axis and finding the acceleration along the y component of the velocity..
    but I come up with the answer 250 which is wrong
    the correct answer is 250 * underoot 3 and the direction is given to the left please explain how

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello scary one,

You may assume there is no force (so no acceleration) in the y direction: the ball appears to bounce off with the same speed.

In the x-direction, however, drastic things happen: first it moves at some speed towards the wall and after the bounce it has the same speed but in a negative x direction. So there is a big ##\Delta v##. Your job is to calculate a from that with the relevant formula (oops :wink: )

4. Oct 19, 2015 #3

faiziqb12

Gold Member

thanks bvu.
    I got it right now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted