Force on Block A: 100N Left & Right?

In summary, the question is about the horizontal forces acting on block A, with some students arguing it is 100N to the right and others saying there is no force. However, the correct answer is that there is no force acting on block A, as the 100N force is acting on block B and there must be another force, such as friction, to give a net force of 0 on block B. This allows block A to move at a constant speed without any horizontal force acting on it.
eprex
So this was a question that I had on a previous test and I'm looking for a definitive answer.

1.jpg

The question is what horizontal force/s is/are acting on block A. I thought it was 100N to the left and 100N to the right, however some other students had argued it was only 100N to the right.

I'm confused as to why block A would remain on block B if there was only a force acting to the right.

Physics news on Phys.org
eprex said:
The question is what horizontal force/s is/are acting on block A. I thought it was 100N to the left and 100N to the right, however some other students had argued it was only 100N to the right.
I'd say neither is correct. The 100 N force acts on block B, not on block A. (What force acts on block A?)
I'm confused as to why block A would remain on block B if there was only a force acting to the right.
The entire system (assuming they move together) is accelerating to the right. So there had better be a force acting to the right on block A.

I forgot to mention that there is no acceleration. Okay so you agree there us a force directed to the right on A. You disagree with the aforementioned conclusions though?

eprex said:
I forgot to mention that there is no acceleration.
Ah, big difference.
Okay so you agree there us a force directed to the right on A.
No. But since there's no acceleration, there must be a force to the left acting on B. Friction from the surface, I presume?
You disagree with the aforementioned conclusions though?
Yes.

(Perhaps you should state the entire problem, word for word as it was given to you. That way you can get a definitive answer.)

I don't have it on me but basically a force of 100N is pushing block B to the right at a constant speed. The question asks what the proper free body diagram for A is. The answers are:

100N to the right
100N to the left and 100N to the right
Two 100N forces to the right
No force at all

Seems to me it's either one or two.

If it were "100N to the right", block A would accelerate.
If it were "100N to the left and 100N to the right", what would produce those forces on A?

I thought it was 100n to the right and 100n to left. The pull to the right being 100n and the friction being 100n to the left, hence no acceleration. It seems me there has to be a counter force of some kind and not simply the initial pull only

eprex said:
I thought it was 100n to the right and 100n to left. The pull to the right being 100n and the friction being 100n to the left, hence no acceleration. It seems me there has to be a counter force of some kind and not simply the initial pull only
The 100 N pulling force shown acts on block B, not block A. There must be another force on block B, from friction perhaps, to give a net force of 0 on block B.

Block A is moving along at constant speed. There's no horizontal force acting on A.

Wow, so we were all wrong haha. That's pretty interesting. I understand why the net force is zero, but it's hard to conceptualize that it's moving without any force.

eprex said:
Wow, so we were all wrong haha. That's pretty interesting.
Yep. The best answer is "no force at all".

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the strength or intensity of a push or pull on an object. It is measured in units of newtons (N) and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is the force on Block A?

The force on Block A is 100N, and it is acting in both the left and right directions. This means that there are two equal forces of 100N acting in opposite directions on Block A.

What is the direction of the force on Block A?

The force on Block A is both left and right. This means that there are two equal forces acting in opposite directions on Block A, with one pushing to the left and the other pushing to the right.

What is the net force on Block A?

The net force on Block A is 0N. Since the two forces of 100N are acting in opposite directions, they cancel each other out and the overall net force on Block A is 0N.

What effect does the force on Block A have on its motion?

The force on Block A will cause it to remain at rest or to continue moving with a constant velocity in a straight line. This is due to Newton's first law of motion, which states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by a net force. In this case, the net force is 0N, so Block A will not experience any change in its motion.