Calculating Cam Gear Bolt Force: Formulas and Tips for Optimal Performance

In summary, the conversation is about finding formulas to determine the force on cam gear bolts. The force depends on the gear's mating to the cam, the car's make, flywheel weight, acceleration of the crankshaft, mass of the camshaft, gear, and chain, and the geometry of the sliding rails and tensioner location. It is recommended to contact professional engine builders to obtain the necessary torque information for accurately calculating the force.
Camron201
Hi, I'm trying to find some formulas to figure out the force on the bolts of a cam gear.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Strain gauge the bolt, then tighten it up to the specified torque.

Do you have any more information which might help you get a more useful answer?

Are you talking shear or tension?

This completely depends on how the gear mates to the cam.

The gear is on a centered dowel, then bolted to the cam. I am talking about sheer strength, not bolt torque. I want to figure out how much load is on the cam bolts from the crank via chain and valve spring back pressure. As I want to try some different bolts and bolts/patterns. I need the load or force the engine puts on the cam so I can calculate what kind of bolts I need.

You would need to know the make of the car to determine flywheel weight which affects acceleration of the crankshaft as well as the mass of the camshaft, gear, and chain.

Also need the geometry of the sliding rails and the tensioner location.

HowlerMonkey said:
You would need to know the make of the car to determine flywheel weight which affects acceleration of the crankshaft as well as the mass of the camshaft, gear, and chain.

Also need the geometry of the sliding rails and the tensioner location.

I can probably obtain all that info, but how do I use it to get what I need?

i recommend you contact some professional engine builders and them how much torque it takes to turn a cam shaft that is installed to include the heads and valve train. make sure the crankshaft has no pistons installed...will be real close to actual value if the mains are align bored properly..

What is the force applied on cam gear bolts?

The force applied on cam gear bolts is the amount of external pressure or load that is exerted on the bolts, usually measured in units of pounds (lbs) or Newtons (N).

How is the force on cam gear bolts calculated?

The force on cam gear bolts is calculated using the formula F = m*a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. In the case of cam gear bolts, the mass would be the weight of the cam gear and the acceleration would be the rotational speed of the camshaft.

What factors affect the force on cam gear bolts?

The force on cam gear bolts is affected by several factors such as the weight of the cam gear, the speed of the engine, the type of material the bolts are made of, and the torque applied to the bolts during installation.

Why is it important to consider the force on cam gear bolts?

It is important to consider the force on cam gear bolts because if the force exceeds the maximum load limit for the bolts, they can break or fail, leading to engine damage or failure. It is crucial to ensure that the cam gear bolts are able to withstand the force applied to them in order to maintain the proper functioning of the engine.

How can the force on cam gear bolts be measured?

The force on cam gear bolts can be measured using a torque wrench or a dynamometer. These tools can accurately measure the amount of torque or force applied to the bolts and ensure that it falls within the recommended range for the specific bolts being used.