Calculate Max. Force on Car Lights at Highway Speeds

In summary, the speaker is trying to calculate the maximum force on the lights in order to determine which electromechanics to use for a pan/tilt system. They are looking for an equation to calculate the force on different sized lights at highway speeds. The speaker is making something similar to a pan/tilt system for a truck and wants to avoid spending $1700. The force they are referring to is the force of wind on the lights.
VooDooCC
Hello all,
What I'm trying to figure out is how I would calculate the max. force on the lights so I can determine which electromechanics to use for a pan/tilt system.
I know the bar will have 4 lights, but I haven't decided on which lights I'm going to use. I am hoping for an equation I could use to calculate the force on different size lights at highway speeds

Thank you in advance,
Justin

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What force are you talking about? The effect of wind speed over the car?

Sorry, I was in a hurry typing that earlier.
What I'm talking about is the force of wind on the lights. I'm wanting to calculate this, so I know how strong of an actuator I need to use.

I'm going to be making something similar to but for a different truck and don't want to spend the $1700

Last edited by a moderator:
That would depend on many different variables, mainly the size and orientation of the lights themselves.

What is the purpose of calculating the maximum force on car lights at highway speeds?

The purpose of this calculation is to determine the amount of force that the car lights will experience while traveling at high speeds on the highway. This information can be used to design and test the durability and safety of car lights.

How is the maximum force on car lights at highway speeds calculated?

The maximum force on car lights at highway speeds can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the car lights, and a is the acceleration of the car. The acceleration can be determined by dividing the speed of the car by the time it takes to reach that speed.

What factors can affect the maximum force on car lights at highway speeds?

The maximum force on car lights at highway speeds can be affected by various factors such as the weight and design of the car lights, the speed of the car, the condition of the road, and the driving habits of the driver. Other external factors such as wind and weather conditions can also play a role in the force experienced by the car lights.

Why is it important to know the maximum force on car lights at highway speeds?

Knowing the maximum force on car lights at highway speeds is important for ensuring the safety and functionality of the car lights. If the force exceeds the strength of the car lights, it can cause damage or malfunction, potentially leading to accidents on the road. This information is also useful for manufacturers to improve the design and durability of car lights.

Can the maximum force on car lights at highway speeds be reduced?

The maximum force on car lights at highway speeds can be reduced by implementing design changes such as using lighter materials or aerodynamic shapes for the car lights. Driving at lower speeds and maintaining good road conditions can also help reduce the force experienced by the car lights. Regular maintenance and proper usage can also help prolong the lifespan of car lights, reducing the likelihood of experiencing excessive force while driving on the highway.