How Does External Force Affect a Rotating Disc and Ring System?

In summary, the system has a centripetal force on it that is equal to the force on the center of mass.
SDewan

Homework Statement

A heavy ring of mass m is clamped on the periphery of a light circular disc. A small particle of equal mass is placed at the center of the disc. The system is rotated in such a way that the center moves in a circle of radius r and with a uniform speed v. Find the external force on the system.

Homework Equations

• Finding the Center of Mass of the system:
(Considering the center of the plate to be the Reference Point.)

mr/(m+m) => r/2

Therefore the center of mass lies at r/2 from the center

• Finding force on the system:

Centripetal Force=mv2/r

Putting r=r/2 (i.e.the center of mass), F=2mv2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

It is known to us the position of the center of mass of the system. Therefore the force on the system must be equivalent that on the center of mass. Using this, i formulated the possible expression for the external force on the system. But I am still confused whether my approach is correct.

Any feedback is deeply valued and appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
SDewan said:

Homework Statement

A heavy ring of mass m is clamped on the periphery of a light circular disc. A small particle of equal mass is placed at the center of the disc. The system is rotated in such a way that the center moves in a circle of radius r and with a uniform speed v. Find the external force on the system.

Homework Equations

• Finding the Center of Mass of the system:
(Considering the center of the plate to be the Reference Point.)

mr/(m+m) => r/2

Therefore the center of mass lies at r/2 from the center

• Finding force on the system:

Centripetal Force=mv2/r

Putting r=r/2 (i.e.the center of mass), F=2mv2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

It is known to us the position of the center of mass of the system. Therefore the force on the system must be equivalent that on the center of mass. Using this, i formulated the possible expression for the external force on the system. But I am still confused whether my approach is correct.

Any feedback is deeply valued and appreciated

How did you get the centre of mass to be r/2? If r is large, then the center of mass would be outside the disk!

The disk is massless. There are only two masses in the system, the ring and the mass at the center and both are of equal mass. Separation between them is r. So the centre of mass has to be at r/2.
It must not matter how large r is.

SDewan said:
The disk is massless. There are only two masses in the system, the ring and the mass at the center and both are of equal mass. Separation between them is r. So the centre of mass has to be at r/2.
It must not matter how large r is.

r is the radius of the motion. You aren't given the radius of the disk. Where is the centre of mass of a ring?

Right. I got the catch. I was misinterpreting r to be the radius of the disk.
On second thought I realize that the center of mass of disk has to be its geometrical center. So the COM of the system is at the center, where the small particle is kept

SDewan said:
Right. I got the catch. I was misinterpreting r to be the radius of the disk.
On second thought I realize that the center of mass of disk has to be its geometrical center. So the COM of the system is at the center.

That's right.

Okay, now the centripetal force can be found.
Thanks PeroK for your help!

1. What is the definition of "force on center of mass"?

The force on center of mass is the net force acting on an object's center of mass, which is the point where the mass of the object is concentrated.

2. How is the force on center of mass calculated?

The force on center of mass is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its acceleration. This is known as Newton's second law: F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

3. What factors affect the force on center of mass?

The force on center of mass is affected by the mass of the object, the acceleration of the object, and the direction and magnitude of the external forces acting on the object.

4. What is the significance of the force on center of mass?

The force on center of mass is significant because it determines the overall motion of an object. If the force on center of mass is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity. If the force on center of mass is non-zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

5. How does the force on center of mass relate to the concept of momentum?

The force on center of mass is directly related to the concept of momentum. Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity, and the force on center of mass is the rate of change of an object's momentum. This means that the force on center of mass is what causes an object's momentum to change, either by speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction.