What is the Net Force on Charges in a Square?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations F=Kq1q2/r^2 and E=kQ/r^2 and how they relate to the answer choice E, which states that there is no net force on the charge. The person answering the question initially chose E but second-guessed themselves due to lack of quantitative understanding and no supplied values. However, they were able to confirm their answer by plugging in variables.
RemoteDoc

Homework Statement

https://img.skitch.com/20120425-x1ekh2xqk9j61xqk83uyspaf75.jpg

Homework Equations

F=Kq1q2/r^2
E=kQ/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Answer choice E is not listed in screenshot, but states that there is no Net force on the Charge. I picked E, but I'm second-guessing myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
What made you choose E? Are there other options that seem plausible to you which make you second guess yourself?

Well, I guess I was hoping for a more quantitative way of understanding the vector sums in this equation, without having supplied values.

Ultimately I just plugged in some variables and my answer held up.

I would like to clarify the context of this question. Are we assuming that the charges in the square are stationary and there are no other external forces acting on them? If so, then answer choice E, stating that there is no net force on the charge, would be correct. This is because the net force on a stationary charge in an electric field is zero.

However, if the charges in the square are moving or there are other external forces acting on them, then the answer may not be E. In this case, the net force on the charges would depend on the direction and magnitude of their individual electric fields, and would need to be calculated using the equations provided. It is important to consider all factors and assumptions when answering scientific questions.

1. What is the force on a charge in a square?

The force on a charge in a square is the electrostatic force exerted by other charges within the square. It is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the direction of the force determined in a square?

The direction of the force on a charge in a square is determined by the relative positions and charges of the other charges within the square. The force will be attractive if the charges have opposite signs and repulsive if they have the same sign.

3. Can the force on a charge in a square be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the force on a charge in a square to be zero. This can occur when the charge is located at the center of the square and the other charges are evenly distributed around it, resulting in the force vectors canceling each other out.

4. How does the force on a charge change if the square is tilted?

If the square is tilted, the distance between the charges will change, and therefore the force will also change. The magnitude of the force will decrease as the distance between the charges increases, and the direction of the force will depend on the new relative positions of the charges.

5. How does the shape of the square affect the force on a charge?

The shape of the square does not affect the magnitude of the force on a charge, as long as the distance between the charges remains the same. However, the direction of the force may change depending on the relative positions of the charges within the square.