Find Max Force on Charges: Q/2

In summary, to find the maximum force that two small objects placed 1 meter apart exert on each other, the charge q should be equal to half of the original charge Q. This can be found by setting the derivative of the force equation with respect to q equal to zero and solving for q. It is also important to check that the second derivative is negative to ensure that the value found is indeed a maximum and not a minimum.
Air

Homework Statement

A small object has charge [itex]Q[/itex]. Charge [itex]q[/itex] is removed from it and placed on a second small object. The two objects are placed [itex]1[/itex] meter apart. For the force that each object exerts on each other to be a maximum, q should be:

Homework Equations

[itex]F=\frac{kQ_1Q_2}{r^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The correct answer is [itex]\frac{Q}{2}[/itex] although I can't seem to get to that. Is my formula selection correct. Also, if force is maximum, which value do I cosider it as. Thanks for the guidence in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Air said:

Homework Statement

A small object has charge [itex]Q[/itex]. Charge [itex]q[/itex] is removed from it and placed on a second small object. The two objects are placed [itex]1[/itex] meter apart. For the force that each object exerts on each other to be a maximum, q should be:

Homework Equations

[itex]F=\frac{kQ_1Q_2}{r^2}[/itex]

Good; here [itex]r=1\text{m}[/itex], so you might as well write this as [itex]F=kQ_1Q_2[/itex] and not worry too much about the units.

Now, what are [itex]Q_1[/itex] and [itex]Q_2[/itex] for this problem (in terms of 'Q' and 'q')?

Also, if force is maximum, which value do I cosider it as. Thanks for the guidence in advance.

Well, you should have an equation for your force that is a function of 'q'; if I gave you some function of x and asked you to find the value of x that gives maximum value of that function, how would you do it? Apply the same idea to the force as a function of q.

gabbagabbahey said:
Well, you should have an equation for your force that is a function of 'q'; if I gave you some function of x and asked you to find the value of x that gives maximum value of that function, how would you do it? Apply the same idea to the force as a function of q.

It it was function of [itex]x[/itex], I would differentiate to find the maximum and equate it zero. How is that relevant?

EDIT: [itex]F = KQ^2\implies \frac{\mathrm{d}F}{\mathrm{d}Q} = 2KQ[/itex]. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Air said:
It it was function of [itex]x[/itex], I would differentiate to find the maximum and equate it zero. How is that relevant?

Well, if you have a function of x you differentiate with respect to x and set it equal to zero.

So, if you have a function of q, why not differentiate it with respect to q and set it equal to zero? :wink:

gabbagabbahey said:
Well, if you have a function of x you differentiate with respect to x and set it equal to zero.

So, if you have a function of q, why not differentiate it with respect to q and set it equal to zero? :wink:

Ok, So if [itex]F=kQ_1Q_2[/itex], we can consider the charge to be [itex]F=kQ^2[/itex] hence as [itex]F = KQ^2\implies \frac{\mathrm{d}F}{\mathrm{d}Q} = 2KQ[/itex].

[itex]2KQ = 0 \implies Q=0[/itex]. Hmmm... Is my error that I changed [itex]Q_1Q_2[/itex] to [itex]Q^2[/itex]? :redface:

Air said:
EDIT: [itex]F = KQ^2\implies \frac{\mathrm{d}F}{\mathrm{d}Q} = 2KQ[/itex]. Is this correct?

Right idea, but are [itex]Q_1[/itex] and [itex]Q_2[/itex] really both equal to [itex]Q[/itex]?

If the first object starts out with charge [itex]Q[/itex] and you take away an amount [itex]q[/itex] how much is left? Call that [itex]Q_1[/itex].

If the second object starts out neutral and you add an amount of charge [itex]q[/itex], what is the charge on that object? Call that [itex]Q_2[/itex].

gabbagabbahey said:
Right idea, but are [itex]Q_1[/itex] and [itex]Q_2[/itex] really both equal to [itex]Q[/itex]?

If the first object starts out with charge [itex]Q[/itex] and you take away an amount [itex]q[/itex] how much is left? Call that [itex]Q_1[/itex].

If the second object starts out neutral and you add an amount of charge [itex]q[/itex], what is the charge on that object? Call that [itex]Q_2[/itex].

[itex]F=k(Q-q)(q)[/itex]

[itex]F=KQq - Kq^2[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}F}{\mathrm{d}q} = KQ - 2kq[/itex]

When derivative equated to zero, max can be found: [itex]0 = KQ - 2kq \implies KQ = 2Kq \therefore q = \frac{Q}{2}[/itex].

Woo, it works. I got the correct answer. Thanks a lot for the great help. You've been very patient and I appreciate the help. Thanks once again. :smile:

Air said:
[itex]F=k(Q-q)(q)[/itex]

[itex]F=KQq - Kq^2[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}F}{\mathrm{d}q} = KQ - 2kq[/itex]

When derivative equated to zero, max can be found: [itex]0 = KQ - 2kq \implies KQ = 2Kq \therefore q = \frac{Q}{2}[/itex].

Woo, it works. I got the correct answer. Thanks a lot for the great help. You've been very patient and I appreciate the help. Thanks once again. :smile:

That's much better!:smile:

You should also check that the second derivative is negative so that you can be sure that you've found the maximum value and not the minimum value.

gabbagabbahey said:
That's much better!:smile:

You should also check that the second derivative is negative so that you can be sure that you've found the maximum value and not the minimum value.

Yes, [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2F}{\mathrm{d}q^2} = -2q[/itex] Which is negative hence it's a maximum.

Looks good to me :approve:

1. What is the formula for finding the maximum force on charges?

The formula for finding the maximum force on charges is F = Q/2, where F is the maximum force and Q is the charge.

2. How do you calculate the maximum force on charges?

To calculate the maximum force on charges, simply divide the charge (Q) by 2. The result will be the maximum force (F) on the charges.

3. What units are used for the maximum force on charges?

The maximum force on charges is typically measured in Newtons (N), which is a unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

4. Can the maximum force on charges be negative?

No, the maximum force on charges cannot be negative. Force is a vector quantity and it always has a positive direction, so the maximum force on charges will always be a positive value.

5. How does the distance between two charges affect the maximum force?

According to Coulomb's law, the maximum force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two charges increases, the maximum force between them decreases.