1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on door from two hinges - easy - help anyone?

1. Nov 14, 2004 #1
    torque/force problem - two door hinges - help anyone?

A large door of height - 2.1 m - along y axis that extends vertically upward and width - 0.95 m - along x axis that extends outward from the hinged edge of the door. A hinge at 0.30 m from the top and a hinge at 0.30 m from the bottom, each support half the door's mass which is 28 kg.

(a) In unit-vector notation, what is the force on the door at the top hinge?
    ___ N i +____ N j
    (b) In unit-vector notation, what is the force on the door at the bottom hinge? ___ N i +____ N j

------------------------------

I don't understand where the horizontal force - vector in i direction - is coming from if there's no horizontal movement and only gravity is acting along the y-axis or j hat

so my answers for the j hat vectors are simply 9.8x14= 137.2N which is the correct answer... but i don't understand parts A and C???

help anyone???

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2004 #2
    help please~!

anyone out there????? i don't need to give me the answer... could anyone just point me in the right direction???? how to find the i-hat vector forces in this problem?????

thanksss a lot

4. Nov 14, 2004 #3
    Take the moment about the bottom hinge to find the answer for a) and then swap to the top hinge to find b)

5. Nov 14, 2004 #4
    i, too, am stuck on this problem, and what do you mean by take the moment? im a bit rusty, and trying to remember that, but cant seem to remember...... any help?

6. Nov 14, 2004 #5
    First you draw the free body diagram. Putting in all the forces into the diagram, there are altogether 5 forces, 2 at each hinge and the door's self weight. There are 2 unknown forces in the diagram since you have been told that the vertical component at each hinge is half of the door weight. 2 unknown forces and 3 equations derived from the diagram, it can be solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?