Force on equilateral triangle

In summary, the problem involves three equal charges located on the corners of an equilateral triangle with sides of length d and the task is to find the magnitude of the force F' on one of the charges due to the electric field created by the other two charges. The solution to this problem is 1407 Newtons, with the values of q=60 micro C and d=20 cm. To find the force, one can use Coulomb's law and the superposition principle, where the net force is found by adding the forces in the x and y directions separately. The resulting force is repulsive due to the like charges and the distance between them is 0.2m.
laminatedevildoll
Three charges reside on an equilateral triangle with sides equal to d. All three charges are equal in magnitude and sign.

What is the magnitude of the force F' on one of the three charges q due to the total electric field from the other two charges q on the corners of the equilateral triangle?

Okay, so this problem is driving me nuts because I cannot get the correct solution, which by the way is 1407 Newtons. q=60 micro C and d=20 cm.

I tried to find the force of the one charge due to other two charges by using coulomb's law, and the direction, but I couldn't seem to get it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you took the superpositions of the two other charges reacting on your charge You can proceed by adding the forces in the x-direction separately and the y-direction separately (or any other directions/axes of your choice). After that you can easily get the magnitude.

An equilateral triangle has sides of 60 degrees.
The superposition principle says the net force from two particles will be the vector sum of the force of each particle.
The net force is repulsive since the charges are the same.
The distance is 0.2m

1. What is the formula for calculating the force on an equilateral triangle?

The formula for calculating the force on an equilateral triangle is F = (3/2) * (side length)^2 * (force per unit area).

2. How is the force distributed on an equilateral triangle?

The force on an equilateral triangle is evenly distributed among each of its three sides.

3. Does the orientation of the triangle affect the force?

No, the orientation of the triangle does not affect the force. The force will be the same regardless of whether the triangle is upright or tilted.

4. Can the force on an equilateral triangle be negative?

Yes, the force on an equilateral triangle can be negative if the force per unit area is directed in the opposite direction of the triangle's sides. This would result in a net force that is directed inward towards the center of the triangle.

5. How does the force on an equilateral triangle compare to that on other shapes?

The force on an equilateral triangle is typically greater than that on other shapes with the same side length, as it has a larger surface area for the force to act on compared to other shapes with the same perimeter.