Force on Magnetic Dipole

Homework Statement

71n13p.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found dB/dr to be constant near r = 0, so it's a straight line, implying B increases linearly with r near r = 0.

For the second part, I assume the setup is as such, if not placing the dipole with its axis parallel to the coil would make B = 0, and hence no force at all..Not sure what energy has to do in this case.

119zcrb.png

Answers and Replies

Not sure what energy has to do in this case.
There is a relationship between potential energy and force.

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I found dB/dr to be constant near r = 0, so it's a straight line, implying B increases linearly with r near r = 0.
Sounds good.

For the second part, I assume the setup is as such, if not placing the dipole with its axis parallel to the coil would make B = 0, and hence no force at all..Not sure what energy has to do in this case.
[Edited to correct a misstatement] Although there is only an r-component of field on the axis of the Maxwell loops (r-axis), off the axis there will be a radially inward field (perpendicular to the r-axis and toward the r-axis). A dipole in the form of a small current loop would experience a force due to this radially inward field.

But, it's easier to find the force by using the idea that force is the negative gradient of potential energy: F = -∇E. See if you can use this to find the force. [I see MisterX posted this suggestion before me. Sorry.]

Last edited:
Sounds good.

[Edited to correct a misstatement] Although there is only an r-component of field on the axis of the Maxwell loops (r-axis), off the axis there will be a radially inward field (perpendicular to the r-axis and toward the r-axis). A dipole in the form of a small current loop would experience a force due to this radially inward field.

But, it's easier to find the force by using the idea that force is the negative gradient of potential energy: F = -∇E. See if you can use this to find the force. [I see MisterX posted this suggestion before me. Sorry.]
Then, wouldn't the force simply be F = - ∂U/∂r = m ∂Bext/∂r at r = 0?

This is simply the earlier part of the question of finding ∂B/∂r at r = 0.

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Then, wouldn't the force simply be F = - ∂U/∂r = m ∂Bext/∂r at r = 0?

This is simply the earlier part of the question of finding ∂B/∂r at r = 0.
Yes, that's right.