Force On Rod Inserted In Solenoid

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the approach to solving for the force on a long cylindrical rod partially inserted into a long solenoid. The hint given is to first calculate the total energy in the field and then use the formula for calculating force from energy. The post also includes equations for inductance and energy in the field, as well as a suggestion to consider the change in energy with and without the rod inserted to find the force.
zzachattack2

Homework Statement

A long cylindrical rod (permeability u , length L0, radius R) is partially inserted into a long
solenoid (length L1, radius R, turn density n, and fixed current I)

How large is the force on the rod? Our hint is to first calculate the total energy in the field.

Homework Equations

W= 1/2*L*I^2 for calculating energy and finding force from energy, F = dW/dL

The Attempt at a Solution

So my attempt to solve this was of course first find the energy stored in the field. Of course the Inductance of the solenoid is just L=u0*n^2*pi*R^2*L1 and this can just be plugged into the formula above for finding total energy in the field. My guess is that you should find how the total magnetic field changes by inserting a permeable core, and thus how the energy in the field changes. This difference can be used to calculate the force on the rod. However I'm having a lot of trouble finding the difference in energy when the rod is "partially" inserted. Any ideas? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for your forum post. Your approach to calculate the total energy in the field is a good starting point. However, in order to find the force on the rod, we need to consider the change in energy as the rod is inserted into the solenoid.

To do this, we can use the formula for the inductance of a solenoid with a permeable core, which is L = u*n^2*pi*R^2*L1 + u0*(L0-L1). Here, u is the permeability of the core material and u0 is the permeability of free space. The first term represents the inductance of the solenoid with the core fully inserted, while the second term represents the inductance of the solenoid with no core inserted.

Next, we can use the formula for the total energy in the field, W = 1/2*L*I^2, to find the energy with the core fully inserted and with no core inserted. The difference between these two energies will give us the change in energy as the rod is partially inserted.

Finally, we can use the formula F = dW/dL to find the force on the rod. This will give us the force on the rod as it is inserted into the solenoid.

I hope this helps in solving the problem. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is the force on a rod inserted in a solenoid?

The force on a rod inserted in a solenoid is determined by the strength of the magnetic field produced by the solenoid, the length of the rod, and the current flowing through the solenoid. This force is given by the equation F = BIL, where B is the magnetic field, I is the current, and L is the length of the rod.

2. How does the force on the rod change with the direction of the current?

The direction of the force on the rod inserted in a solenoid depends on the direction of the current. When the current flows in the same direction as the magnetic field, the force is attractive, and when the current flows in the opposite direction, the force is repulsive.

3. Can the force on the rod be increased by increasing the number of turns in the solenoid?

Yes, the force on the rod inserted in a solenoid can be increased by increasing the number of turns in the solenoid. This is because the magnetic field produced by the solenoid is directly proportional to the number of turns. Therefore, a higher number of turns will result in a stronger magnetic field and a larger force on the rod.

4. What is the relationship between the force on the rod and the length of the solenoid?

The force on the rod inserted in a solenoid is directly proportional to the length of the solenoid. This means that as the length of the solenoid increases, the force on the rod also increases. This is because a longer solenoid will have a larger magnetic field, which results in a stronger force on the rod.

5. How does the force on the rod change with the distance from the solenoid?

The force on the rod inserted in a solenoid follows an inverse square relationship with the distance from the solenoid. This means that as the distance from the solenoid increases, the force on the rod decreases. This is because the strength of the magnetic field decreases with distance, leading to a weaker force on the rod.