1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on the roof

1. Mar 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Dorothy is up on her 10.0m by 12.0m roof enjoying the view of Kansas. Suddenly, a strong wind blows down her ladder, leaving her stranded. She knows that a high wind reduces the air pressure on the roof, and that there is a danger that the atmospheric pressure inside the house will blow the roof off. As the wind reaches a speed of 27.5m/s, she calls to her Auntie Em for help. Calculate the force on the roof.

2. Relevant equations
    p1A1v1=p2A2v2
    P2 + (.5)p(v2^2)=P1 + (.5)p(v1^2)
    P=F/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have been looking at this problem for awhile now and I'm not to sure on where to start. I know you can find the area of the roof by multiplying the values. Getting you a 120 m^2. I thought maybe you could use the second equation I listed. And since the velocity in the house is 0 you could set P1 = P2 + .5(v2^2)p but I don't know how to find P1 or P2... So I guess I'm just kinda at a loss. Can someone push me in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2009 #2
    Sorry for the question everyone. I figured out the answer. I was overcomplicating the problem and it was just stressing me out but I took a break and came back and realized it wasn't hard at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook