Force between two particles

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving calculating the force between two charged particles using the equation F = k * ((q1q2)/r^2). The individuals are trying to solve the problem but are getting incorrect answers due to using the wrong constant, which is actually the Coulomb constant, not the Boltzmann constant.
fball558
force on two particles??

Homework Statement

A charge q1 =4uC is at the origin, and a charge q2 = 6.0uC is on the x-axis at x = 5m. In what follows, i denotes the unit vector in +x direction.

i know how to do this problem, just plug into equation and go. but i keep getting the wrong answer. i will show what I am doing and hopefully someone will see my mistake. might be something wrong with my constant or my conversion factor.

Homework Equations

this problem uses the whole F= k * ((q1q2)/r^2)

q1 = 4uC i converted to C to get 4 x 10 ^ -6 C
q2 = 6uC converted to C to get 6 x 10 ^ -6 C
r = 5
k = 1.3807 x 10 ^ -23

The Attempt at a Solution

just plug and chug

1.3807 x 10 ^ -23 * 4 x 10 ^ -6 * 6 x 10 ^ -6 = 3.314 x 10 ^ -34

divide by r^2 (25) = 1.325 e -35
that is not right. should be a normal number not to a power

any help would be great

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Thats the issue with plug-and-chugging and not understanding what the formula is about... the value of 'k' that you are using is for the Boltzmann constant k, and not the constant of proportionality here implied by the 'k' here, which is actually = [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon}[/tex]

Yes, there's lot of constants that use "k" (k for constant): the Coloumb constant, the Boltzmann constant, the spring constant...

What is the definition of force on two particles?

The force on two particles is the interaction between the two particles that causes a change in their motion or direction.

How is the force on two particles calculated?

The force on two particles can be calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation or Coulomb's law, depending on the type of force (gravitational or electric) between the particles.

What factors affect the force on two particles?

The force on two particles is affected by the distance between the particles, the masses or charges of the particles, and the type of force (gravitational or electric).

Can the force on two particles be negative?

Yes, the force on two particles can be negative if the particles have opposite charges or masses, resulting in an attractive force between them.

What is the significance of the force on two particles?

The force on two particles is significant in understanding the behavior of objects in the universe and in predicting their future motion. It also plays a crucial role in various fields such as astronomy, physics, and engineering.