1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on wire due to current

1. Jan 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    hi,im a bit confused by the following question.i think i have a fairly good idea of most of the solution but the actual wording of the question is stil throwing me.

Q: 3 parallel wires,arranged in the form of an equilateral triangle,of side length 10cm,each carry a current of 50 A in the same direction.Calculate the force on any one wire due to the other two.

2. Relevant equations
    I used the equation F= 2*10^-7(I1)(I2)/d
    a
    and arranged wires as follows: *

b* c*

with wires going into page.

3. The attempt at a solution
    i calculated the force on the top wire,a, due to b and c:
    F=2*10^-7(50)(50)/0.1 = 5.0*10^-3 N in each case,along the line joining a to b and a to c

so this force F is attractive as the currents are in the same direction,yes?
    what i am wondering is if i have to calculate the resultant force on a,that is,use for eg the parallelogram rule to find the resultant force, which would point in the direction straight down,or can i simply leave the ans. as is??

is there some sort of convention for expressing this direction or can i just say in the direction indicated on a diagram?

i used the cosine rule and found that the resultant force is (3^1/2)(5*10^-3)N in the direction pointing straight down so that the vector would bisect bc as shown in diagram,does this make sense?
    thanks steve:rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2007 #2
    ok that didnt work out,wires are meant to look like this:

..........a*

b* ............. c*

ignore dots

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?