1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force or dp/dt for a photon?

1. Jan 31, 2009 #1
    If p=E/c for a photon, and I'm given a bunch of other equations such as E=hc/λ and p=h/λ and E=hf and more...

Note: h=planck's constant, f=frequency, c=speed of light, E=energy, p=momentum.

I'm wondering how to find dp/dt (=Force)?

Original question:
    Photons carry momentum, hence they exert pressure on the surface they strike. In this question, we we'll computer the approximate pressure at a distance r exerted by radiation from a star, using the relativistic equation between energy, momentum, and mass. Pressure is force exerted per unit surface area. The force exerted per particle can be written dp/dt where p is the momentum of the particle (from F ~ v^2 and p ~ v). Derive an expression for pressure P at a radius r from the radiation originating isotropically from a point source (i.e. a star), in terms of the momentum of the photons and radius r. (This is most easily derived by imagining that the photons are striking a spherical shell of radius r centered on the star).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it depends on if the photon is absorbed or totally reflected.

Are you looking for radiation pressure? Use stefan boltzmans law, or rather, derive it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?