1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force problem for elastic stretch

1. Jan 31, 2005 #1
    The force required to elastically stretch a wire is given by:

F= ( l - lo / lo ) EA

where A is the cross-sectional area of the wire, lo is the length of the unstretched wire and l the length of the wire after it is stretched. E is the elastic modulus, sometimes called Young's modulus. Using this equation, compute the force as a function of distance stretched for the gold nanowire as it is stretched from E-I to E-II. The elastic modulus for bulk pure gold is 7.448 x 10^10 Pa. Is the behavior of the nanowire qualitatively/quantitatively different from that of the bulk?

my work:

l value = 10 Angstroms (from my graph of E-II)
    lo value = 8 Angstromgs (from my graph of E-I)

F = (10-8)/8 * (7.448x10^10 Pa) A

my problem is how would i find the value for the cross-sectional area of the wire (A)??? is there a formula i can use to calculate the cross-secitonal area?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does the problem give you the mass of the wire? If it did, you can compute the mass/length and find A from: [itex]\rho A = m/l [/itex]. Otherwise, you don't have sufficient information here to solve the problem.

AM

4. Jan 31, 2005 #3
    im not really given any values for EI-EII which is the configuration of the Au3-SCH3 molecule. instead, the length of the wire from the distance in which it was stretched. this is all in a graph dealing with nanwires.

5. Jan 31, 2005 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why not just give us, word for word, the actual problem and post a copy of the graph. There is something missing from the information provided.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?