Solving Frictionless Force Problem: Magnitude & Direction

In summary, a car traveling north at a Y intersection experiences two forces: one directed to the left (480N) and one directed to the right (400N). The magnitude and direction of the total force cannot be determined without knowing the mass of the car.
rculley1970
I have a frictionless force problem. A car is traveling north and there is a Y intersection. 480N to the left at 11 degrees, 400N to the right at 26 degrees. Can I find the magnitude and direction of these 2 forces without the mass of the car?

I am coming up with 155.6N but am still working on the direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
We can't tell whether the 11 degrees is measured clockwise from the left direction, (ie, 11 degrees toward negative y from the negative-x axis?)
or whether it is 11 degrees clockwise from the left (11 deg toward +y from-x)

Find each component first, of each Force. Then add each component separately.
Finally use Pythagoras to get the magnitude of the total Force, if needed.
use the inverse tan(Fy/Fx) to get the angle.

Sorry, I meant it going north as in the y direction. 11 degress going negative from the y-axis and 26 degress going positive from the y-axis. I forgot about the inverse tangent function to find the angle. thank you for that. This is what I have:
F(x)=-480(cos11) + 400(cos26)
F(y)=400(sin26) + 480(sin11)

F(x) = -111
F(y) = 267

a = .099 m/s^2

Just let me know if this is wrong. I will rerun the numbers again to verify.

From your description, I expect each Force to be mostly in the y-direction.
But using -480N cos(11) makes almost all the Force in the (-) x-direction ...
Should you switch the sines with the cosines?
(yes, if the 11 degree angle is measured from the y-axis)

You can't predict an acceleration without knowing the mass, though.

Not sure if i can put a graphic on here but:

480N \11 deg |26 deg / 400N
\ | /
\ | /
\ | /
\ | /
\ |/
------------------------------------------------------
/|\
|
|

figured out the magnitude. 914.8. but still working on the angle.

That's what I thought - these small angles are being measured from the y-axis.
So the small components are the x-components, with large y-components.
Verify by adding the component VECTORS (tail-to-tip) to get the diagonal.
sin(11) = - F1x / F1 ... sin(26) = + F2x / F2y

umm, did you forget that the x-components tend to cancel?

thank you for the help, lightgrav. I did mix up the cos and sin. had them backwards. I am using the ThompsonNOW website where the teacher posts the homework. The mag is 914.8 and the a=.288m/s^2. Just trying to figure out the angle though. Give me a few minutes on this one.

Sorry, mass was given in part (b) of question: 2900Kg. Part (a) just asked for mag and dir. (b) asks for acceleration

Even if the Forces were perfecly aligned, they would only add up to 880N !
The result of a vector addition is never greater than that ... NOT 914.8 N
(I got 834N).

Odd, I can input the answers and it tells me if they are correct or incorrect. On the mag and acceleration, i got 914.8 and .288 respectively. It gave me credit for both of them. I keep getting the angle wrong though. will keep working on it.

F(x)=-480(sin11) + 400(sin26) = 83.8
F(y)=480(cos11) + 400(cos26) = 831

a(x)=(83.8)/(2900) = .029
a(y)=(831)/(2900) = .287

a = .288

I keep coming up with 84.2 degrees but the website keeps telling me it's incorrect.

The magnitude of the Force vector is obtained by Pythagoras, not straight addition.

If their angles are measured from +y-axis, yours probably should be, too.

sqr root( (.029)^2 + (.287)^2) = .288

Crashing out for the night. Working on it tomorrow along with some friction problems. (ughhh) Too many equations. Mostly memorization of equations and when to use them from what I can tell. Will look into the current problem tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

1. What is frictionless force?

Frictionless force is a hypothetical force that does not involve any frictional resistance. It is often used in simplified physics problems to eliminate the influence of friction and focus on other factors that affect an object's motion.

2. How do you solve a frictionless force problem?

To solve a frictionless force problem, you need to identify the forces acting on the object and their direction. Then, apply Newton's laws of motion to determine the net force on the object and its resulting motion.

3. What is the magnitude of a force?

The magnitude of a force is the size or strength of a force. It is typically measured in newtons (N) in the International System of Units (SI).

4. What is the direction of a force?

The direction of a force is the path along which the force is acting. It can be described using angles, such as north, south, east, and west, or using a vector notation with arrows indicating the direction.

5. How do you find the direction of a frictionless force?

Since frictionless force does not involve any frictional resistance, its direction is typically given in the problem or can be determined by analyzing the other forces acting on the object. It is important to remember that frictionless force always acts in the direction of motion or acceleration of the object.