Calculating Water Force at the Bottom of the Mariana Trench: A Physics Problem

• Thread starter whoknows123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation involves discussing the calculation of force on an underwater vehicle's window at a depth of 10650 m in the Mariana Trench. The pressure at this depth is determined using the density of salt water and the weight of a column of water. The final equation used is F = ma, where a = g, to find the force on the window. The conversation also clarifies that the force is being compared to the weight of the window, not a jetliner.
whoknows123
I tried this for two nights and it doesn't make sense to me because my teacher did not go over it.

The bottom of the Mariana Trench, located in the Pacific Ocean, is about 11,000 m below the ocean's surface. If an underwater vehicle were exploring the region, at the depth of 10650 m,

a) what force would the water exert on the vehicle's circular winder, which has a radius of 0.2 m? ___N

b) The mass of a jetliner is 1.2 X 10^5 kg. Please fill in the following relationship:
the force on the window is as much as the weight of _______ jetliners.

Thanks a bunch.

Physics news on Phys.org
whoknows123 said:
I tried this for two nights and it doesn't make sense to me because my teacher did not go over it.

The bottom of the Mariana Trench, located in the Pacific Ocean, is about 11,000 m below the ocean's surface. If an underwater vehicle were exploring the region, at the depth of 10650 m,

a) what force would the water exert on the vehicle's circular winder, which has a radius of 0.2 m? ___N
What is the pressure (Force/area) at 10650 m of water? (ie. how much does a column of water 1 m square weigh?). What is the area of the window?

b) The mass of a jetliner is 1.2 X 10^5 kg. Please fill in the following relationship:
the force on the window is as much as the weight of _______ jetliners.
I think they mean the window of the underwater vehicle, not the jetliner, so use the answer in a) and compare it to the weight of 1.2x10^5 kg.

AM

Last edited:
nothing else is given except for what I wrote and density of salt water = 1025 kg/m^3

i'm just wondering what equations to use because in my mind, this problem is confusing to me.

whoknows123 said:
i'm just wondering what equations to use because in my mind, this problem is confusing to me.
The only equation you need is F = ma (where a = g). That and P = F/A (Force/Area). Do you know how to determine the weight of a column of water 10650 m high and 1 m square? That is all you need.

AM

whoknows123 said:
nothing else is given except for what I wrote and density of salt water = 1025 kg/m^3
So how many kg in 10650 cubic metres of salt water? How much does that weigh? So what is the pressure? What is the area of the window? So what is the force?

AM

i thought i would have to find pressure at depth and use the radius in some kind of way, I'm a little confused at what your saying

whoknows123 said:
i thought i would have to find pressure at depth and use the radius in some kind of way, I'm a little confused at what your saying
How do you find force on a window of Area A, at a particular pressure? What does pressure mean?

AM

1. What is the Mariana Trench and why is it important to calculate water force at its bottom?

The Mariana Trench is the deepest point in the Earth's oceans, located in the western Pacific Ocean. It is important to calculate water force at its bottom because it can help us understand the extreme conditions at the bottom of the ocean and how they may affect marine life and geological processes.

2. What factors affect the water force at the bottom of the Mariana Trench?

The water force at the bottom of the Mariana Trench is affected by the density of the water, the depth of the trench, and the gravitational pull of the Earth. These factors can be calculated using equations from fluid mechanics and Newton's laws of motion.

3. How is water force calculated at the bottom of the Mariana Trench?

Water force at the bottom of the Mariana Trench can be calculated using the equation F = ρgh, where F is the force, ρ is the density of the water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the trench. This equation takes into account the weight of the water above and the gravitational pull.

4. What is the value of water force at the bottom of the Mariana Trench?

The value of water force at the bottom of the Mariana Trench can vary depending on the specific factors and equations used in the calculation. However, it is estimated to be over 8 tons per square inch, making it an extreme and powerful force.

5. How does the water force at the bottom of the Mariana Trench affect marine life?

The extreme water force at the bottom of the Mariana Trench can create harsh conditions for marine life, such as high pressure and low temperatures. Some organisms have adapted to survive in these conditions, while others may not be able to survive at all. Understanding the water force at the bottom of the Mariana Trench can help us better understand and protect these unique ecosystems.