Is This Physics Calculation Correct for a Force Problem?

In summary, the conversation is about a force problem where the net force is calculated to be 0, and the person is questioning if their approach is correct.
dsptl
Force Problem (urgent)

http://maxupload.com

Attempt:

Y: Fnet = 0
n - wcos40 = 0
n = wcos40

X: Fnet = ma
1N + wsin40 -Fk = ma
1N + wsin40 -(.2)(wcos40) = ma
1N + 1.29 - .306 = .2a
a = 9.9 m/s2

I am doing it right way. I asked b/c i feel something is wrong...

Please help its urgent

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

dsptl said:
Attempt:

Y: Fnet = 0
n - wcos40 = 0
n = wcos40

X: Fnet = ma
1N + wsin40 -Fk = ma
1N + wsin40 -(.2)(wcos40) = ma
1N + 1.29 - .306 = .2a
a = 9.9 m/s2

I am doing it right way. I asked b/c i feel something is wrong...

Please help its urgent

Your approach seems right to me. I noticed you were using g=10m/s2 for the acceleration due to gravity instead of the more correct g=9.8m/s2; is that value what your class is supposed to be using?

!

Hi there,

I understand that you are working on a force problem and are feeling unsure about your calculations. It's great that you are reaching out for help!

Based on the information you provided, it looks like you are on the right track with your calculations. However, it's always a good idea to double check your work and make sure that all of your equations are set up correctly. Additionally, if you are still feeling unsure, it might be helpful to ask a classmate or your teacher for clarification or assistance.

I know it can be stressful when a problem is marked as urgent, but remember to take a deep breath and approach the problem step by step. I'm sure you will be able to figure it out! Good luck!

1. What is a force problem?

A force problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on an object or system in order to determine its motion.

2. How do I solve a force problem?

To solve a force problem, you will need to identify all the forces acting on the object or system, including the direction and magnitude of each force. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion and other relevant equations to calculate the net force and resulting motion.

3. What are the units of force?

The SI unit of force is the Newton (N), which is defined as the force required to accelerate a mass of 1 kilogram at a rate of 1 meter per second squared. Other commonly used units of force include pounds (lb) and kilograms (kg).

4. What are some common types of forces?

Some common types of forces include gravity, friction, tension, normal force, and applied force. These forces can act in different directions and have different magnitudes, which can affect the motion of an object or system.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve a force problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a force problem. However, it is important to understand the concepts and equations behind the calculations to ensure accuracy and to properly interpret the results.