1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force problem

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A .8kg cannon ball is shot out of a cannon with force 2000-100,000t. When the ball leaves the cannon, the force is zero. What is the velocity of the ball as it leaves the cannon.

Although the problem doesn't specify, I assume there is no gravity or any other external forces since there is no angle of the force or cannon given.

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    Unfortunately, I have not learned how to solve equations dealing with varying acceleration, so I don't really know what to do...

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found that the cannon ball leaves the cannon at t=.02, but I don't know what to do once I have that to find the final velocity...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Cherrybawls, welcome to PF!

The easiest way to do it is to integrate the a(t) function (acceleration as a function of time) in order to get the final velocity:

[tex] v(0.02) - v(0) = \int_0^{0.02} a(t)\, dt [/tex]​

If you haven't done any calculus, then the above will probably not mean much to you. However, another method, which is *entirely equivalent* is to compute the area underneath the a vs. t graph, over that time interval. That will give you the change in velocity over that time interval. In this case, I think we can assume that the initial velocity, v(0), is 0, so that the change in velocity is just equal to the final velocity achieved.

4. Nov 23, 2009 #3
    Well, I am learning calculus now, but we have not yet gotten to integrals so I will go ahead and try the second method you mentioned, thank you so much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook