1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force problems- help pls

1. Oct 1, 2004 #1
    Force problems- help pls!!

I need help with these problems:
    1. A 3.9 kg object is subjected to two forces, F1= (2.8N)i + (-4N)j and F2= (3.7N)i + (-10.4N)j. The object is at rest at the origin at time t= 0.
    a) What is the magnitude of the object's acceleration? Got That one.
    b) What is the magnitude of the velocity at t= 3.8 s? Got that one too.
    c) What is the magnitude of the object's position at t= 3.8 s? No idea how to do this one.

2. A 1.5 kg particle starts from rest and moves a distance of 2.3 m in 2.9 s under the action of a single, constant force. Find the magnitude of the force.

Please!! Can someone help me asap!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2004 #2
    Magnitude = sqrt(i^2 + j^2) (components not just the unit vectors). Integrate the velocity function to find the position function and take the magnitude of the position vector at t = 3.8s. Shouldn't be too hard given this info.
  4. Oct 1, 2004 #3
    I am sorry, I still don't get it :cry: . What do u mean by integrate the velocity function to get position function :confused:
  5. Oct 1, 2004 #4
    How did you derive the velocity function? It should be a similar process going from velocity function to position function as acceleration to velocity function (integration)
  6. Oct 4, 2004 #5
    I got the velocity like this:
    v-v0 = at = (4.05) (3.8) = 15.39 m/s. which was correct.
    I tried to figure out the magnitude of object's position like this:
    v = change in x / change in t
    15.39 = change in x / 3.8
    change in x = 58.48 m. which was the wrong answer.
    What am I doing wrong?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?