Understanding Force Problems: Comparing Forces on Driver and Passenger

• Thread starter jcumby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discussed three different scenarios involving forces and acceleration. In the first scenario, a car collides with a truck and the forces exerted on the driver by the seatbelt and on the passenger by the dashboard were compared. In the second scenario, the minimum stopping time for an elevator to prevent passengers from leaving the floor was discussed. Finally, in the third scenario, the forces exerted by blocks of different masses on each other were considered.
jcumby
1.) A car moving at 50 km/h collides with a truck, and the front of the car is crushed 1.1 m as it comes to a complete stop. The driver is wearing a steabelt, but the pasenger is not. The passenger, obeying Newton's first law, keeps moving and slams into the dashboard after the car has stopped. If the dashboard compresses 5.0 cm on impact, find and compare the forces exerted on the driver by the seabelt and on the passenger by the dashboard. Assume the two have the same 65 kg mass.

I'm really confused about this one...thus far I have the intertia for both the driver and the passenger at 3250 N (65 kg * 50 km/h), but I'm not even sure if I've done that right.

2.)An elevator moves upward at 5.2 m/s. What is the minimum stopping time it can have if the passengers are to remain on the floor?

I know I need to figure out the normal force on a passenger on the verge of not remaining on the floor, and I know that normal force has to be some combination of mass and acceleration (9.8 + 5.2?), but other than that I'm stuck.

3.) Blocks of 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 kg are lined up on a table (without friction). A 12 N force is applied to the 1.0 kg block. What force does the 2.0 kg block exert on the 3.0 kg block?

This must have something to do with inertia...but I'm not sure how to begin

Physics news on Phys.org
jcumby said:
1.) A car moving at 50 km/h collides with a truck, and the front of the car is crushed 1.1 m as it comes to a complete stop. The driver is wearing a steabelt, but the pasenger is not. The passenger, obeying Newton's first law, keeps moving and slams into the dashboard after the car has stopped. If the dashboard compresses 5.0 cm on impact, find and compare the forces exerted on the driver by the seabelt and on the passenger by the dashboard. Assume the two have the same 65 kg mass.

I'm really confused about this one...thus far I have the intertia for both the driver and the passenger at 3250 N (65 kg * 50 km/h), but I'm not even sure if I've done that right.
Convert units to SI and use equation v2=u2+2aS, after you find acceleration (deceleration in this case) for car (ie. also acceleration for driver, as driver moves with car body), and for the passenger, sub acceleration for driver and passenger into F=ma.

2.)An elevator moves upward at 5.2 m/s. What is the minimum stopping time it can have if the passengers are to remain on the floor?

I know I need to figure out the normal force on a passenger on the verge of not remaining on the floor, and I know that normal force has to be some combination of mass and acceleration (9.8 + 5.2?), but other than that I'm stuck.
[/quote]
Use equation a=(v-u)/t -- You know that a=9.8ms-2, v=0 u= -5.2ms-1, considering that down is positive.

3.) Blocks of 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 kg are lined up on a table (without friction). A 12 N force is applied to the 1.0 kg block. What force does the 2.0 kg block exert on the 3.0 kg block?

This must have something to do with inertia...but I'm not sure how to begin
With no friction? Sounds like a dodgy question, anyone else agree?

Anyway, I'd start by finding out force due to gravity for each mass.

Hope this helps

I can provide some insights and guidance to help you understand and solve these force problems.

First, let's start with the car accident scenario. From what you have calculated, the initial inertia of both the driver and passenger is correct. However, to find the forces exerted on them, we need to use Newton's second law, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). In this case, the acceleration is the change in velocity (from 50 km/h to 0 km/h) divided by the time it takes to stop. We can use the given distance and velocity to calculate the stopping time, and then plug that into the equation to find the forces.

For the driver, we know that the car stops in 1.1 m, so the stopping time can be calculated using the formula d=0.5at^2, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Rearranging this equation to solve for t, we get t=√(2d/a). Plugging in the values, we get t=√(2*1.1/50/3.6) = 0.059 seconds. Now, using F=ma, we can calculate the force exerted on the driver by the seatbelt: F=m*(Δv/t)=65*(50/3.6/0.059) = 5,934 N.

For the passenger, we can use the same process to calculate the stopping time, but we need to take into account the additional distance traveled (5.0 cm) before hitting the dashboard. This gives us a total distance of 1.15 m. Plugging this into the formula, we get t=√(2*1.15/50/3.6) = 0.061 seconds. Using F=ma again, we get F=m*(Δv/t)=65*(50/3.6/0.061) = 5,307 N.

Comparing these two forces, we can see that the force exerted on the passenger by the dashboard is slightly less than the force exerted on the driver by the seatbelt. This is due to the additional distance traveled by the passenger before coming to a complete stop.

Moving on to the elevator problem, we need to consider the normal force in order to determine the minimum stopping time. The normal force

1. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed as F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you must add all of the individual forces acting on an object. This can be done by using vector addition, where forces in the same direction are added together and forces in opposite directions are subtracted. The resulting sum is the net force.

3. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is the measure of the amount of matter in an object. Weight can change depending on the gravitational force, but mass remains constant. Weight is measured in Newtons (N) and mass is measured in kilograms (kg).

4. How does friction affect force?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and acts in the opposite direction of an object's movement. It can decrease the net force acting on an object and therefore decrease its acceleration. Friction can also cause objects to come to a stop.

5. How can you determine the direction of an object's acceleration?

The direction of an object's acceleration is determined by the net force acting on the object. If the net force is in the same direction as the object's velocity, the acceleration will be in the same direction. If the net force is in the opposite direction of the object's velocity, the acceleration will be in the opposite direction.